General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Not an LS car but need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not an LS car but need help

I have a 98 blazer and it has the "rolling" gas gauge issue and I honestly couldn't tell you how much gas is in the tank at any given time. Is there any way of fixing that gas gauge so it'll read more accurate, like a tune, some kind of wiring, or a new gauge?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend has a 2001 Blazer and has the same problem. His gauge usually works so so if he's over half tank. But try putting it in neutral and hit the brakes pretty hard. That might work, it works for him sometimes. But if not you'll just need a new sending unit. Which involves dropping the tank to get to the top of the fuel tank IIRC.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

That's the thing, it has a new sending unit and fuel pump installed in september, and the gauge does work fairly well till around half tank, then I'm honestly guessing where it's at until about an 1/8th tank is left.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

its a fuel sending unit. i couldnt tell you how many blazers, s10s, tahoes, ford ecoline vans i have done with same problems. if your gonna replace it again stick with an acdelco brand and not an aftermarket unit like carquest or bwd(autozone specials). ive seen some last a long time and others quit a year later. hope this helps