General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Really loud squeking and chirping noises.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really loud squeking and chirping noises.

Ok just installed a ls6 intake this weekend. the battery was off the car for 4 days while I was waiting on a new oil pressure sending unit.

After I finished the install the car ran great except a few times when idling the rpms would drop and the car would try to die..I could tap the gas and the car would go back to normal. This happend only the first 30 minutes of driving the car after the intake and battery had been off for 4 days.

I retightend the intake the next day the belts felt alittle loose. and no hesitation or idling problems have occured just this loud squek.

It's not constant. If the car has set for a while two or more hours it won't do it...unitl you start getting over 2500 rpms then this very loud squeking and chirping occurs. I figured if I had a vacume leak that loud the car would not run right , but it idles fine, and drives fine. It so loud that when a car is beside me I can hear it echo off there car.

It was 72 degrees today for the first time this year and the car warmed up a tad faster than usual

Could the squek be the water pump, belt tensioner or other pully about to go...any guesses where to start.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car came that way when I bought it. I insisted that the seller fix it, so he tossed a new belt on and was extremely liberal with the belt dressing and it stopped. Since you said the belt didn't seem terribly tight, I'm using that as a basis here.

However... As I told him at the time, the belt tensioner was factory original and weak based on how little effort was needed to move the tensioner with a rachet. VERY little. The idler pulley was also shiny as hell and where the squeaking was coming from. I replaced both belt tensioners, both idler pulleys and the AC belt. all of the pulleys when turned by hand either made slight clicking sounds or were rough.

I'd guess one of your belt tensioners was weak. You could try replacing the belt and it may stop the squeaking. Personally, I would guess it was the belt tensioner without seeing or hearing it myself. New tensioner and belt would be my long distance diagnosis.

To test though, take the belt off and start the car up. If there's no squeak, you know exactly where the problem lies. If it is the belt system, really only you can determine if you need to replace the belt tensioner/idler pulley or jus the belt. Spin the pulleys by hand. Heck, take them off and spin them by hand while holding them. You'll be able to feel if they are going bad and you can hold em right up to your ear as you spin em.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Elthesh
My car came that way when I bought it. I insisted that the seller fix it, so he tossed a new belt on and was extremely liberal with the belt dressing and it stopped. Since you said the belt didn't seem terribly tight, I'm using that as a basis here.

However... As I told him at the time, the belt tensioner was factory original and weak based on how little effort was needed to move the tensioner with a rachet. VERY little. The idler pulley was also shiny as hell and where the squeaking was coming from. I replaced both belt tensioners, both idler pulleys and the AC belt. all of the pulleys when turned by hand either made slight clicking sounds or were rough.

I'd guess one of your belt tensioners was weak. You could try replacing the belt and it may stop the squeaking. Personally, I would guess it was the belt tensioner without seeing or hearing it myself. New tensioner and belt would be my long distance diagnosis.

To test though, take the belt off and start the car up. If there's no squeak, you know exactly where the problem lies. If it is the belt system, really only you can determine if you need to replace the belt tensioner/idler pulley or jus the belt. Spin the pulleys by hand. Heck, take them off and spin them by hand while holding them. You'll be able to feel if they are going bad and you can hold em right up to your ear as you spin em.
Thanks I'm gonna do this tommorow...the car is my daily driver for the moment and it just sucks listening to it.

The car has nearly 140,000 miles on it..guess it maybe time for the tensioner or belt to be replaced haha..will try tommorow just taking the belt off.

I'll have to make sure that the car is making the noise yank the belt of real quick then crank it...just kinda annoying driving with that loud a** noise.