General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Getting a Difficult Wheel Cover Off

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Getting a Difficult Wheel Cover Off

Hey all,

Going to change the brakes on my buddies 00 Alero tonight and noticed that the lug covers are totally screwed and want to see if there are any good tips on how to get them off. They have a chrome cover, then a separate "cap" I would call it that goes over the actual lug, of the one good one that was on there the cover and cap turned together exposing the lug, on the others either the cover came off independent of the cap or the cap just seems stripped.

Any good tricks to getting these covers and caps off with them being separated and/or stripped? Thanks in advance for the help.

Jeff
Old 02-17-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

go thru your socket set between metric and standards, find a socket that is tight and put an extension on it. Tap the socket on with a hammer then loosen. before the nut comes off, tap again to get the socket off. remove the nut and replace the bad ones.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we used to have these bust off all the time , use a pair of needlenose pliars to pull off the chrome cap cover , bust the plastic filler then go 2 sizes down in sockets and use a 6 point socket to grab the lug nut , when you replace the lugs buy real chrome plated lugs . screw the Gm Oems style ones .
Old 02-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stimpy
we used to have these bust off all the time , use a pair of needlenose pliars to pull off the chrome cap cover , bust the plastic filler then go 2 sizes down in sockets and use a 6 point socket to grab the lug nut , when you replace the lugs buy real chrome plated lugs . screw the Gm Oems style ones .
I wouldn't say 2 sizes. Whenever I run into a lug that has lost the cap, I shoot down one size. I have my flip socket sitting in the corner of my socket drawer, along with an extra 18mm and 20mm impact socket sitting next to it for the lugs missing caps. Use them all the time, and they always fit the lugs missing caps.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Perfect excuse to buy a new tool! http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=00952166000P