General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Possibly buying 2000 Firebird t/a

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly buying 2000 Firebird t/a

I test drove a 2000 t/a today with 115,000 miles. Red, t tops, 6 speed, flowmast exhaust, eibach springs, stock shocks, short shifter. The issues i noticed that i would like to get ppls opinions on: Rattling/noise out of rear suspension. The road we test drove on was pretty bad. Missing vents on drivers side which concerns me a lot. I couldn't see any signs of spray setup anywhere in trunk. Passenger window doesnt work, and blinkers don't work. When you turn the blinker on, the green arrows stay solid and so do the lights in front and rear. Power steering pump needs replacing also. Dealer wants 5k for the car. Opinions?

Last edited by rjlawlor646; 02-22-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id offer them $4k an tell em to fix the power steering pump. The mileage isn't bad. Ls1s last foreverif maintained correctly. Ask for a maintenance history and do a car fax. The turn signals are probably just a flasher or a missing bulb. What kind off rattling noise? Just when you hit bumps? What's your budget? I got my red t/a completely stock 103k miles. Nothing wrong with it except no turn signal housings for $7k
Old 02-23-2011, 02:28 AM
TECH Addict

Which is an awesome deal for the area I live In...
Old 02-23-2011, 07:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea its just when hitting bumbs, and the bumbs on this road were pretty serious and with the factory shocks that are in it, i think its probably that.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

The shocks sounds like the problem with the rough ride. They don't work that great with the stock spring rates, and when you add in lowering springs with higher rates they are even less effective, including giving you a rough, jarring ride. Upgrading to something decent, like Bilsteins, KYB AGX's, or Koni's will really make a difference, plus you can change your springs around depending on the ride/drop you want also.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by rjlawlor646
Rattling/noise out of rear suspension.
Something may be broken. This is the only thing I'd insist that the dealer deal with and fix. If its shocks, that's easy and maybe you can offer to pay for upgraded parts. If its not, that could be expensive.

Missing vents on drivers side which concerns me a lot.
Do you mean the plastic grills that fit in just in front of the door? If so - no big deal. They are plastic and just snap in.

Passenger window doesnt work
Common problem and something you'll need to get versed in. I would strongly suggest taking the door panel off and looking at things to make sure someone hasn't tried a repair and torn the door up. If you see rivets holding the regulator to the door, then the mechanism is in its stock condition and is something you can work with. If not, post a pic and people can provide advice.

blinkers don't work
Easy fix - common issue either with flasher or sockets.

Power steering pump needs replacing also
No biggie - common thing. The pumps take a beating because of inadequate cooling. (Lots of good fixes on this site for that.)

Dealer wants 5k for the car
Too much - talk them down. The person who had this before you obviously couldn't properly take care of it. You could have an engine rebuild, etc. in your near future....