General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

oil in radiator! help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil in radiator! help!

So I noticed the temperature gauge went up while sitting at a red light and then went back down when I started driving. I popped the hood as soon as I got to my apt and opened the radiator up to find an unpleasant surprise, oil in the radiator mixed up with water looked like strawberry milkshake. I checked the motor oil and it was fine but then found no oil in the tranny oil dipstick. I asked around and was told that the lines that flow transmission oil through the radiator probably ruptured. Car is parked since then and I just finished removing the radiator. There's a sh*tload of oil still coming out from the water pump mixed with water. I know I have to change the tranny oil as well but don't know how to go about it. My questions are:

Do I install the new radiator, fill up the radiator and refill the tranny with oil, then drive it to a shop to get the tranny oil changed as well as the entire oil flushed with that machine they use? If so would the oil inside the water lines and pump eventually drain out after a couples flushes?

OR

Do I haul my car to a shop as it is without radiator to get the transmission oil and filter changed as well as the entire tranny oil flush then have the radiator installed?

AND ALSO

I was told by a person that the torque converter would have to be drilled a hole to completely flush out all the oil and water that could remain in there(and then weld it back shut)! Would this really be necessary or would the flush they do be sufficient?

I don't want to mess up my transmission and stall! Anyone been through this? Your advise and experience on this will be greatly appreciated guys please let me know!

Also, anyone know a good shop that can do this in Corpus Christi?
Old 02-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Take the radiator to a shop and have them remove the passengers side plastic tank and remove all that tranny cooler crap....then have them put two plugs in those tranny port holes. I did this exact thing, it cost me $60.00 total. Have them clean your radiator while you're there.

Then go get a gallon of Formula 88 degreaser, reinstall the radiator and hook everything up. Take the t-stat out and bolt the housing back on. Pour half gallon of the Formula 88 into the radiator, then fill the rest with water. Leave the radiator cap off the entire time. Start the engine and let it run for 15 minutes. Then let it sit for 1 hour or so. Then start it up again and let it run for another 15 minutes. Then sit again for 1 hour. Then drain it all out and fill it with JUST water and run it for a few minutes, then dump it again.
Do that with JUST water 3-4 times to get all the dirt out.
Put the t-stat back in and fill it up with water/coolant and your done. Bleed the air by starting it with the radiator cap still off...let it get to operating temp and the coolant starts to flow....top it off immediately when the coolant level drops down, and your done.

Then go get a tranny flush......the machine they use will take care of everything, as well as the converter. Just make sure they run the fluid through all the way and then some.

Then go to the auto parts store and buy a tranny cooler, like a B&M stacked cooler, mount it in front of the condensor. They take like 15-20 minutes to install.

Then top off your tranny fluid.

Done. And do not mount the tranny cooler up against the condensor. Do it like I did mine...pic below. It will cool the fluid much better and not cause a hot spot on the condensor.

Attached Thumbnails oil in radiator! help!-dsc01780.jpg   oil in radiator! help!-dsc01784.jpg  
Old 02-23-2011, 07:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks alot I will do! I already have a tranny cooler I had it installed sincec the tranny and H/C were done in 2008 just don't know exactly how it was hooked up! It was attacked to the AC condenser though.

Anyone else been through this?
Old 02-06-2014, 02:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post#2 I ll do..

Quick Reply: oil in radiator! help!