General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Engine cracks starter Why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine cracks starter Why?

My 98 ls1 z28 started missing all of a sudden and started smoking a small amount of cloudy white smoke. I parked it and came back to check on it again and when I attempted to start it it cracked my started. I replaced the starter but my car only turns over to a certain point and then it catches. What could cause this?
Old 02-23-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Blown headgasket/hydrolock. I certainly wouldn't be trying to start it anymore without looking much deeper into the issue.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28NEVALATE
My 98 ls1 z28 started missing all of a sudden and started smoking a small amount of cloudy white smoke. I parked it and came back to check on it again and when I attempted to start it it cracked my started. I replaced the starter but my car only turns over to a certain point and then it catches. What could cause this?
Take all 8 spark plugs out and see if it turns over easily. Also, have someone see if any coolant shoots out of any of the 8 spark plug ports as you turn it over..............might need two people to watch for it on each side.

Oh....and don't get another starter like your factory starter....get the one in the link. It has TWO long bolts and a beefed up other side to the starter...this one includes the longer extra bolt, most other ones do not include it. I have been using this starter for almost a year and its perfect so far...VERY strong.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Start...Q5fAccessories

As "$750 L98" said....you may have had a very bad blown head gasket all of a sudden and one or more of your cylinders took in a big gulp of coolant on that pistons downstroke........hydralock. STOP trying to turn it over, you can literally break internal parts if it is hydralocked and lose the whole engine. Your lucky the starter broke if thats what it is.

Last edited by LS6427; 02-23-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys, I'm definately hoping for the best...
Old 02-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Teching In

How would I go about fixing this issue?
Old 02-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28NEVALATE
How would I go about fixing this issue?
Do a coolant system pressure test, see if it holds pressure. Buy the kit at any parts store. If you have a blown head gasket thats that bad you will lose coolant into a cylinder(s).

BUT.....you must take all 8 spark plugs out while doing the test, because if you are pushing coolant into a cylinder you will definitely hydralock the engine if you try to start it after the test...if coolant does fill a cylinder. Just watch for coolant coming out of one of the spark plug holes.

Or a leakdown check for all 8 cylinders, which is more expensive. And the opposite will happen, you will push air into the coolant system when you check the cylinder where the blown gasket is.

If its blown gasket, remove the head and put a new gasket on. Do them both while you're at it.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

the MSD starter uses the 2 long bolts......thats why i got it