General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

SES light while on vacation!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SES light while on vacation!

So we decided we were going to go to Orlando, FL for spring break and halfway to Atlanta my SES light came on. However, I didn't really pay it any attention because my car was running like normal. So once we got to Atlanta I stopped at Autozone to get the codes read. It came up with a bunch of stuff so I'm hoping someone could help me establish the primary cause. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I don't want this to ruin our vacation.

-Possible misfire (I really don't know what this sounds or feels like, my car drives like it did yesterday. No power loss.)

-Possible O2 sensor failure (Emissions isn't until October so this can wait.)

-Possible catalytic converter failure (See above.)

-Oil leak (Didn't realize there was a code for this, but my car has been leaking oil for years .)

I think that's all of them. Like I said the car drives completely like normal, no change at all. And it has about 161,000 miles on it. Thanks a bunch!
Old 03-05-2011, 11:51 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Proabably time for a new cat. Its probably wigging out that 02 sensor which will cause a misfire(s) and then that is setting off the misfire code.

Just don't go WOT when you have a misfire and you'll be ok to keep driving it.

If you have the time and money stop at any GM (Pontiac/Chevy) delearship and get a new one slapped on.....

Obviously they will also confirm that the cat is really the issue.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Most of that could also be a bad O2 sensor, which is incorrectly reporting that the cat is bad. Some of those codes should also be old.

Suggest you have the codes cleared and see which ones come back first. If you get the O2 code before the cat code - that may be it. Either way, no big deal to keep driving it if you don't feel any misfires. (You will know if it happens.)
Old 03-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good call. I had my O2 sensors, MAF, and catylitic converter replaced about 3 years ago, and I don't know if they cleared the codes when they replaced them or if they're just going out again (I hope not). I wish I had a programmer so I could clear the codes myself . Will AutoZone clear the codes?

I am very aware that my car has an oil leak but it's possible that the code just got tripped for it. However, unlikely because this issue has been going on for a couple of years.