General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Alternator Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Question

I'm in the process of installing solid motor mounts and I thought while I have the alternator pulled out Ill replace the alt., plug, plus the positive wire assembly. Well when I pulled the alternator out there was no plug in it and no where to be found. I'm wondering if it is ok to run without that plug and if not where does the wire lead to so I can try to find and hook it up. Thanks
Old 03-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ws6DieseL
I'm in the process of installing solid motor mounts and I thought while I have the alternator pulled out Ill replace the alt., plug, plus the positive wire assembly. Well when I pulled the alternator out there was no plug in it and no where to be found. I'm wondering if it is ok to run without that plug and if not where does the wire lead to so I can try to find and hook it up. Thanks
If you're talking about the excitor wire that plugs into the top of the alternator.....you better find it otherwise your PCM will never be able to tell the alternator to start charging the battery after engine start. It comes out of the wiring harness right above the alternator.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

theres a wire I found thats right above it but it has no plug on it just has a metal prong on the end and the wire is very skinny compared to the new excitor wire I just bought
Old 03-12-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

the new alt plug i got from ebay .........the wire was waaay thicker than the stocker......not a problem
Old 03-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ws6DieseL
theres a wire I found thats right above it but it has no plug on it just has a metal prong on the end and the wire is very skinny compared to the new excitor wire I just bought
Splice it onto that little wire with but-connectors and shrink wrap and you're good to go. GM made that wire pretty damn skinny for some stupid reason.

And like mentioned....that ebay wire for $10.00 with new plug and all is a great part.