General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Steering rack - replace or adjust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering rack - replace or adjust?

I have a '95 Trans Am with about 173,000 kms and I have a problem where when I make a right turn under somewhat hard braking or decelleration the steering will lock up. It will turn about 1/8-1/4 turn and lock up for a split second and then another 1/8-1/4 turn and lock up again for a split second then it's free to go the rest of the way. It only does this on a right hand turn. I have read about adjusting the steering rack but it seems to me that that is more for sloppyness when steering or at higher speeds. Has anybody had a similar issue and what did you have to do to fix it or does anybody have any ideas?
Old 04-09-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First of all, flush your power steering system. It does a world of wonders. Follow these instructions exactly:

Siphon as much old fluid out of the PS pump as possible. Fill the tank to the top with fresh PS fluid. Disable the engine by pulling both injector fuses. Pull the low pressure return line and face it into an empty container. Plug the PS tank hole with a vacuum cap. Have an assisant crank the engine over while turning the wheel from stop to stop. While the assisant is doing this, fill the tank as it keeps on emptying into the container.

Drive it for a day and repeat process above. Your PS problems could be solved for a cost of $8 if you're lucky.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

173,000 miles on the stock rack ,wow! flush flush flush,and use some good fluid..if you want to save money make the tool to remove the ends and install some new O-rings .
Old 04-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eseibel67
First of all, flush your power steering system. It does a world of wonders. Follow these instructions exactly:

Siphon as much old fluid out of the PS pump as possible. Fill the tank to the top with fresh PS fluid. Disable the engine by pulling both injector fuses. Pull the low pressure return line and face it into an empty container. Plug the PS tank hole with a vacuum cap. Have an assisant crank the engine over while turning the wheel from stop to stop. While the assisant is doing this, fill the tank as it keeps on emptying into the container.

Drive it for a day and repeat process above. Your PS problems could be solved for a cost of $8 if you're lucky.
I'll have to try that. I've got the motor torn apart right now but once I get it back to that I'll add that to the list to try. That would be awesome if that's all it took but if not, I can get a new one for $230 after the core charge.

Originally Posted by garygnu
173,000 miles on the stock rack ,wow! flush flush flush,and use some good fluid..if you want to save money make the tool to remove the ends and install some new O-rings .
haha... was wondering if that would trip someone up... 173,000 kilometers... not miles. :p That would be about 107,000 miles. Not sure if I'll pull the O-rings out yet since I have no leaks right now.

Thanks for the replies.