General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Motor mounts SUCK !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor mounts SUCK !!!!

Finally decided to tackle the motor mounts in my 02 firehawk today, thought to myself, ill get the drivers side done by lunch or so if i start early and have plenty of time for the passenger side still...Hahaha, boy was i wrong...lol
Ive been wrenching on my own cars and others for side money for about 20 years now, and i must say that such a simple looking thing to do was absolutely one of the biggest pains in the *** ive ever encountered!! It was fairly easy gettin the drivers side mount out of the car and putting the new poly mount into the clam shell, but puttin it all back in was a different story.. I think some of the problem stems from the new mount being quite a bit bigger than the old one, it seemed to limit the play for the bolts to the block a little and also as a side note i highly recommend to drill out the holes on the clam shell so you have some play when lining up the mount to block bolts when putting back on.. Anyways after a long hard day finally finished up the drivers side and took her for a drive and am pleased to say that it nearly eliminated all of my exhaust flex and vibration issues i had before i started.. My stock mount was severly wasted.. Next weekend, Passenger side, I will prevail !!!!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Launching!

I know the feeling i did both and it took forever but its done
Old 04-10-2011, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/492703-best-poly-motor-mount-write-up-ever-written.html

This may help even tho you are halfway there.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSCAMARO02LS1
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492703

This may help even tho you are halfway there.
That is the thread i used as a guideline, ha thanks!!! He made it sound way easier than it really is.. Part of my problem is that with the headers still connected there is not much room to jack up the motor, maybe 1.5", so there is not much extra room to be had and i certainly was not taking off my headers to do motor mounts.. The thing that did help out quite a bit was taking loose the frame perch.. Made it easier to line everything up.. I hope the passenger side goes easier for me this coming weekend...
Old 04-11-2011, 10:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took the nuts off the through-bolts... put a 2x4 under the oil pan and added a touch of tension to the jack (under the 2x4) and pulled my bolts out... then lifted the motor another pump or two then yanked my mounts...

Good luck.

D