General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull your throttle body and inspect the inside of your intake manifold. Use a long screwdriver and a rag and wipe the inside. I think what you will find will amaze you.

do as was suggested earlier and switch to an LS6 cover and PCV system. Cleans up the engine compartment as well.

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18

By the way, if you have a 2001, more than likely you will NOT have the tab in the valley that needs to be removed. You will have the later LS6 style block that doesn't have that. Also, you will more than likely ruin the connectors for the knock sensor harness. No big deal...GM actually sells a new harness as an assembly for about $30.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going to bother getting an "LS6" valley cover, look for the 04+ part number since it is a little bit better than 01-03.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 501 Likes on 361 Posts

Good advice. We'll see how this pcv valve replacement works out in the meantime. As earlier stated, I don't drive this car very much. Only about 2,500 miles a year now.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
If you are going to bother getting an "LS6" valley cover, look for the 04+ part number since it is a little bit better than 01-03.
Yes! Very important. Do some research, but there is a specific casting number on the bottom of the one you want.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found that lower weight oils is not what my motor likes. I've run 0-40 Mobile 1 since I've owned the car 4 years now, never loose a drop. This past oil change a local dealer gave me an awesome deal on an oil change, 5-30 Mobile and I lost a 1/2 quart between changes. I went to get more 0-40 and the store didn't have it on the shelf so I got a High Mileage 10-40 Mobile and not a drop this go around. Don't know why it's that way, but it is.

One other good thing to do is Sea Foam treatment to clean the top end, T/B and Intake, along with the bottom end and fuel system. If you do a search I'm sure you'll find some info on it. My car loved it and I had a co-worker do it to a Nissan Sentra with 160k on the clock and he said his car ran like new after wards and his gas mileage was way up.