General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squeaking after turning off engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Squeaking after turning off engine

For a while now I've noticed a squeaking from the front passenger side of the motor after I turn of the car. I'm sure it is a rotating mass of some sort because it slows down and stops after about 10 seconds.

I have a few other issues that I don't think are entirely related but may provide some insight. I have a slight miss between 1500 - 3000 RPMS. I'm guessing time for new plugs and wires.

I also have a strange smell that I get when I get on it around 4000+ RPMS. This might be my clutch. Sometimes it feels like the tires are spinning but they are not. It also feels like she's lost some power. Maybe from the miss/clutch combo.

I've had this car for a long time and she has gone through a lot of punishment so I guess its about time to throw some more money into her.

What do you guys think?
Old 05-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The A/C system makes noise after you shut off the car. Does it happen when you are not running the A/C or defroster?

Sounds like your clutch may be on the way out.

Is it a miss or a hesitation? If its a hesitation, you may start with a MAF clean.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Well I replaced the plugs and wire which were gapped about .06 - .07. Awesome I know. I also had a few wires almost disolve on me. While doing that I found that my vacuum hose from the intake manifold to the PCV was busted. After fixing all that the car runs like a top and has almost twice the power. Go figure.

I still get the ticking/squeaking after shutting off the car. I believe it happens whether I run the A/C or not. But I don't know what else it could be besides the compressor.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Thought I would revisit this. Still have a tick/squeak after turning the car off. Slows down to a stop. Lasts about 10 second. Maybe water pump? Not sure.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sometimes the radiator cooling fans squeak......as they slow down.......after the engine is shut off.

Next time you go for a drive and get the engine up to operating temp.....before shutting the engine off, pop the hood...then shut the engine off and hurry over and put your ear close to the fans. See if its one of them squeaking.

If it is the fans....you can probably just reach down there with a cold engine...NOT RUNNING...and spin each fan with your hand. They should squeak....

Old 11-30-2012, 12:23 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Sometimes the radiator cooling fans squeak......as they slow down.......after the engine is shut off.

Next time you go for a drive and get the engine up to operating temp.....before shutting the engine off, pop the hood...then shut the engine off and hurry over and put your ear close to the fans. See if its one of them squeaking.

If it is the fans....you can probably just reach down there with a cold engine...NOT RUNNING...and spin each fan with your hand. They should squeak....

I agree. I would certainly check the fans for this.

The fans on my '00 car did this exact same thing, made the same sort of noise for the same period of time after engine shutdown.

There is nothing else in the engine bay that will make that kind of chirping noise after the engine has been shut down.

Quick Reply: Squeaking after turning off engine