See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Cooling System Guides
Print Wikipost

Doing a radiator flush???

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 04:54 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This is how you remove the tstat from the housing........

Attached Thumbnails Doing a radiator flush???-tstat.removal.jpg  
Old 12-17-2014, 08:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the info... much appreciated! I'm tired of riding my motorcycle in this 30 degree weather...
Old 12-15-2015, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Moving an old thread back up to the top.

I have been flushing cooling systems for 30 years, and I always send the clean water into the heater core outlet and let it return through the engine. Today I used LS6427's method on page one. I am very satisfied that this is the easiest way to do it and still get it completely clean.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2015, 04:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Moving an old thread back up to the top.

I have been flushing cooling systems for 30 years, and I always send the clean water into the heater core outlet and let it return through the engine. Today I used LS6427's method on page one. I am very satisfied that this is the easiest way to do it and still get it completely clean.

Thanks!
Glad it helped you. Lots of people doing it this way, seems like the best way to clean 100% of the crap out.

I even have people over here in Dubai flushing it my way now...they like it.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:51 PM

Hi - I was wondering if you can PLEASE answer this question about your method:

I have a VW 2001 PASSAT GLX V6 Engine. To get to the thermostat I have to take out the front bumper and radiator - it's a complete PITA.

COULD I STILL USE A HALF GALLON OF DEGREASER AND JUST LEAVE THE THERMOSTAT IN ? WHAT IS THE PROCESS FLOW / PROTOCOL IF WE ARE NOT ABLE TO TAKE OUT THE THERMOSTAT? Sorry to use all caps - I am just in a dire straits situation here where I have everything to do what you stated less removing the Thermostat. Please advise!! Much appreciate your time.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:53 PM

I have a VW 2001 PASSAT GLX V6 Engine. To get to the thermostat I have to take out the front bumper and radiator - it's a complete PITA.

COULD I STILL USE A HALF GALLON OF DEGREASER AND JUST LEAVE THE THERMOSTAT IN ? WHAT IS THE PROCESS FLOW / PROTOCOL IF WE ARE NOT ABLE TO TAKE OUT THE THERMOSTAT? Sorry to use all caps - I am just in a dire straits situation here where I have everything to do what you stated less removing the Thermostat. Please advise!! Much appreciate your time.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Luca Montana

Ok...lets see. Well, the only reason to take the t-stat out is so we can get massive flow rate and better flushing and save a lot of time. But if you want to keep the t-stat in then you have to get the engine up to operating temp so it will open or you will have no flow in the system.

In our LS1 engines you can keep the radiator cap off and the t-stat will open no problem in about 10-15 minutes at idle. You can then pour the degreaser into the radiator and it will flow through the entire system. Then you could shut the engine off and walk away for a few hours to let it sit and soak.

If your make/model engine will do that also.....then you're all set. Simply drain the entire of coolant, then pour half gallon of degreaser in. Then close the drain valve. Start your engine. Wait till you see the coolant flowing, which means the t-stat has opened. Let the t-stat open and close a few times so the degreaser flows and mixes through the entire system......then shut it down and walk away.

Then to drain....drain the radiator again. Fill with fresh water. Start it up and wait till the t-stat opens. You will have to let the fresh water in the radiator swap places with the dirty degreaser/water in the block. Then...drain the radiator again.
Keep doing that until you see only clear fresh water circulating. This may take a very long time because the dirty and new are always mixing.

NOTE....If I were you, I would have a friend with you sitting in the drivers seat and always watching the temp gauge to make sure you never let it over heat.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Doing a radiator flush???