General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How to install carpet jute?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How to install carpet jute?

Recently I had a leak in my convertible top which let a lot of water in to the interior and ruined my carpet jute (the padding underneath the carpet). I pulled the interior apart, pulled the carpet out and it came out as one piece with the jute attached underneath.

I removed the old jute from the back of the carpet and made replacement pieces by using the old pieces as templates to trace over new jute. My plan was to glue the new jute to the back of the carpet the way the original was. While stopping at a local upholstery shop to buy glue for the jute I told them what I was working on and what I was doing and they told me the jute is supposed to be glued to the floor, not to the carpet. I told them how the original jute and carpet came in one piece and they insisted that the jute was supposed to be glued to the floor.

Has anyone else done this before? How is the jute really supposed to be installed? It doesn't make any sense to me why the original jute was glued to the carpet if it isn't supposed to be that way.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No it is supposed to be glued to the carpet that's the way it comes from the factory. Most good aftermarket carpets come the same way
Old 07-05-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on my 2002 after a passenger spilled a 32 oz diet coke on the floor I can tell you the jute or whatever is called is part of the carpet. my carpet has a thick rubber backing, which was completely waterproof. when i pulled the carpet up to clean, everything underneath the carpet was dry, i ended up using my garden hose and wet dry vac to soak the carpet then vacuum up to get all the soda out. I expected to see that recycled padding material under the carpet but the carpet was one-piece with a heavy rubber backing.

Quick Reply: How to install carpet jute?