LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance & Repairs (https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs-102/)
-   -   what battery to buy? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/1447724-what-battery-buy.html)

FiredUpZ28 07-24-2011 08:14 PM

I love my AC Delco 78-7 batteries. Interstate is a good brand too. Duralast batteries are JUNK. Well, pretty much anything Duralast is junk.

Stippy17 07-24-2011 08:30 PM

For the most part, there really are about 2 major companies that make batteries and then they are labeled out to be 10 (Just throwing a # out there) different batteries. There are also smaller companies that make batteries but not near the same quantities.

Same thing is true with tires. There may really be only 5 or so major tire companies but they are labeled out to be 50+ different tires. Again there are small tire companies but not near the same quantities.

When it comes to batteries and you had a bad experience its most LIKELY that you just got a bad apple. For the most part, a battery is a battery is a battery.

I have a Optima in my 86' TA, Walmart brand in my 00' TA, and an offbrand in my 85' Silverado. They have all lasted years. Never a problem with any of them.

Element 07-24-2011 09:21 PM

Never a hiccup with my Optima, and it's come back to life after draining down twice (tends to happen when you go months without driving).

No problems with the OEM Delco batteries, either.

59 camaro 07-24-2011 10:13 PM

besides the gm dealer where can the ac delco batteries be bought?

LS6427 07-24-2011 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by 59 camaro (Post 15191599)
besides the gm dealer where can the ac delco batteries be bought?

I got mine at Bennett Auto.

Here's some online places, as low as $99.00
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CG4Q8wIwAg

I think, not sure, but maybe Sears sells them too.

Blwn_by_Twins 07-24-2011 10:42 PM

Johnson Controls is the company that makes DieHard, Kirkland, Everlast, Autocraft, and Optima. I work at AAP, so I'm partial to the Autocraft. Fact is I replace a LOT of batteries. Interstate, Optima, Delco, but one I see more than any other is Walmart Everstart. We replace a ton of them less than 2 years old. I say find the best warranty/price out of the above and go with it.

AAP's Silver is 2 year free replacement & then a 72 month prorate. Gold is 3 year w/ a 84 month prorate for $10 more than the Silver. Food for thought. lol

And always, always, always negotiate the price at auto parts stores. More food for thought.

59 camaro 07-24-2011 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Blwn_by_Twins (Post 15191749)
Johnson Controls is the company that makes DieHard, Kirkland, Everlast, Autocraft, and Optima. I work at AAP, so I'm partial to the Autocraft. Fact is I replace a LOT of batteries. Interstate, Optima, Delco, but one I see more than any other is Walmart Everstart. We replace a ton of them less than 2 years old. I say find the best warranty/price out of the above and go with it.

AAP's Silver is 2 year free replacement & then a 72 month prorate. Gold is 3 year w/ a 84 month prorate for $10 more than the Silver. Food for thought. lol

And always, always, always negotiate the price at auto parts stores. More food for thought.

negotiate at a parts store? can u really do that?

LeanPocket 07-24-2011 11:11 PM

I like the deep cycle optima batteries, im fortunate enough to have a good optima battery. Its nice piece of mind to have a deep cycle, leak proof, vibration resistant battery

With that being said they are very expensive, AC delco is prolly the best bang for the buck ,as stated above it has the best warranty ive come across. My buddy has a 10 year old acdelco battery ina 97 chevy 2500 which hauls tons of shit everyday in north dakota in the oil fields in -30 degree windchill. He has told me that sumbitch starts up everyday no problem and still going strong, so that might be something to consider

HAZ-Matt 07-24-2011 11:13 PM

I am pretty sure they also make the Duralast Gold's for Autozone. Some of the Everstart batteries are also Johnson Controls, but some are made by Exeter if I remember correctly... Walmart had different versions for different regions but that may have changed.

At any rate, I just replaced an AC Delco Professional that was in the Formula for about a zillion years. I got a Duralast Gold.

dr_whigham 07-25-2011 06:00 AM

Tell me more about this... negotiating :D

59 camaro 07-25-2011 08:55 AM

hahaha yeah thats the same thing i asked ^^^

Blwn_by_Twins 07-25-2011 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt (Post 15191887)
I am pretty sure they also make the Duralast Gold's for Autozone. Some of the Everstart batteries are also Johnson Controls, but some are made by Exeter if I remember correctly... Walmart had different versions for different regions but that may have changed.

At any rate, I just replaced an AC Delco Professional that was in the Formula for about a zillion years. I got a Duralast Gold.

I meant to put Duralast on that list too. JC bought Delphi which is the company that makes Everstart. So I guess in a round about way they make them, but they're still junk.

LS6427 07-25-2011 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by 59 camaro (Post 15191878)
negotiate at a parts store? can u really do that?

Maybe if you want to get laughed at by the guy behind the counter........ lol

Bro, get yourself a $99.00 78-7yr AC Delco and call it a day. Then enjoy it for 50 months of 100% free replacement.

Blwn_by_Twins 07-25-2011 09:51 PM

Well, I'm the guy behind the counter and I change prices all the time.

FiredUpZ28 07-25-2011 10:09 PM

I take it your not a shareholder in the company?

LS6427 07-25-2011 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Blwn_by_Twins (Post 15195967)

I guess man...............I've just never in my life heard of anyone negotiating prices at an auto parts store. I wish you worked at one down here.

Kevin01Z28 07-26-2011 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Blwn_by_Twins (Post 15195967)

So you actually change the prices when people check out or give them bogus discounts? How do you still have a job lol...

Tobias05 07-26-2011 06:36 PM

No complaints from my 6 yr old duralast, my 3 yr old duralast, or my wife's yr old interstate battery.

Blwn_by_Twins 07-30-2011 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28 (Post 15196057)
I take it your not a shareholder in the company?

Actually I am.

Originally Posted by Kevin01Z28 (Post 15196887)
So you actually change the prices when people check out or give them bogus discounts? How do you still have a job lol...

Re-read my first post.

ULTIMATEORANGESS 07-30-2011 11:03 PM

interstates are good batteries. mine have lasted a long time and theyre priced right.