General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squealing noise back again...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Squealing noise back again...

I changed the ac idler pulleys and belts about a month or so ago and it stopped the squealing type noise. So i thought i fixed it....

Well after work today, it starts raining and i get caught in a good down pour. Once i get out of the area of the storm, i start to notice that the squealing sound is back again. Got home, showered up & went back out to get food and it squealed the entire way. While under load its the worst, at stop lights it gets a bit quieter but its still there.

What's else could be causing this?
Old 07-30-2011, 03:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you clean the mounting locations? I had this same problem, it would keep coming back so finally i just stripped everything down on the assembly, thoroughly cleaned all of it and re greased it all and it fixed it.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Nope, did not clean the mounting locations. Im about to mess with it a little, so ill remove them and try and clean them the best i can from the top. What did you use to clean them up?

Its weird because when i hit a puddle of water, it shuts it up but its like once the water dries. It comes right back.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it your belt possibly? Try putting belt dressing on and see if that helps. On my 89 camaro I put a gatorback belt on and it started squeeling a week later. I just put some brake lube on the belt and it goes away.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Well i removed the belts & the bottom idler pulley. Then came and got on here to see if anyone had replied, ended up doing what The Mighty Texan suggested. Grabbed a rag, some degreaser & a brush and cleaned up the mounting location, then it hit me. I dont have any grease here, so decided to head to advanced auto for some grease, grease gun & belt conditioner. So i re-installed everything and took off to the store and low and behold, no noise at all. Just went out about 2 hrs ago for food and still no noise. I guess it was just dirty or something. Im kind of afraid to go through any puddles and it starts it right back up but for now, the cleaning cured the issue.

I did spray the belt conditioner on though.