General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

200 Miles/Tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rauch
I always thought my fuel decided to run out pretty quickly, so after changing my oil last night, I decided to calculate my mileage.

With 20.4 miles on the counter, I filled the tank with 13.3 gallons. Might I mention below half a tank, my fuel needle is right about 40% of the damn. Damn check gauges light always let's me know.

On my drive to work this morning, I drove 57.9 miles highway, no traffic, no lights, and not going above 2,500 rpm.

As of those miles, I expended a 1/4 tank of fuel. Which, if I calculated it correctly is roughly 14 miles a gallon.. Highway. Giving me around 230 miles/tank.

No check engine lights exist, merely the random flashing brake light and abs inop light.

I feel as though my mileage should be quite a bit better than that. Mostly stock '00 SS. Just long tubes, true duals, and underdrive pulley. So either the gas gauge is wrong, or there's an issue with the o2's, possibly something a little more serious, or maybe even the tune the previous owner (stealthss) got on it.

Any ideas before I start spending some money and not get any results?

I'm think
it sounds like its about time for a tune up make sure they replace your fuel filter this can make a difference air filter things like that should help if your still having problems then test your mileage again maybe your made a mistake when refilling your tank also this new ethonal **** they put in the gass isnt helping soo...
Old 08-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Teching In

I reset my trip meter everytime i fill up and calculate it, i get about 160 to 170 miles a tank, keeping me right about 12-13mpg

In my defense, 1 tank last me 3 weeks, I have about 1.5 mile commute to work, everything else i need is within 3 miles...so theres a whole lot of sitting at red lights, and stop and go driving.

i recently drove 1300 miles over 4 days, on a vacation trip, 99% interstate, hauling ***...80-90 mph the whole time, got 26 -28
Old 08-10-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds normal. I was getting 150-175 miles to the tank shifting at 3-5k RPM. I switched up and have begun shifting at 2K RPM or less.

I commute 56.2 miles a day (round trip). To work is 95% highway, but speeds on the one highway are approx 20-30 MPH (traffic) and on the other are approx 55+ depending. On my commute home it's 45% highway and the rest are back roads. It takes approx 40 mins in the morning and 55 mins in the afternoon. I get around 200-250 to the tank during my commuting.

On a recent trip to the Outer Banks and back I was getting around 300-400+ miles per tank (95% highway).
Old 08-10-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Wimimc
if you have an A4 like me, we'll never get as good mileage as the M6 guys
Now, I'm going to be nice and not call bullshit, but the A4 does not suck engine power like many older automatic transmisions used to do. I really doubt that you can find a gas mileage edge just due to the manual. Unless you find someone nursing the 6 speed like grandma used to do.

I get a solid 23 mpg based on the right way to measure; fill the tank and reset the trip counter to zero, drive for several hours and refill the tank, note how many gallons were added and use the mileage to do the math.

Of course my engine is still stock. When you start modding the engine you are rarely going to improve power and mileage at the same time. It's one or the other.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It has crappier ratios overall than the T56. And although it isn't as terrible as older transmissions at stealing power, it is still not as efficient as the manual. For pure highway the T56 is a lot nicer since the .5 overdrive paired to 3.42s is a lot higher than a .7 overdrive with 3.23s (1.71 versus 2.261 respectively).

Stock versus stock they aren't hugely worse, but they are still worse.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by ghardester
I really doubt that you can find a gas mileage edge just due to the manual. Unless you find someone nursing the 6 speed like grandma used to do.
Uh... that's why they put 6th gear in the transmission, eigh? I've gotten 29+ mpg with my manual. (Driving in 6th gear, of course.)

Unfortunately, that still doesn't save me from 12-13 mpg in spirited city driving with the AC on.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

GREAT APP FOR ANDROID DEVICES CALLED "aCar". keeps statistics of gas mileage, oil changes and any other maintenece you want to keep track of. I highly recommend this app for everyone reguardless of the make and model.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
210 miles door-to-door from my house in Lauderdale to my condo in Orlando. All but 8 miles is highway on the FL Turnpike. I use half tank on the gauge + one needle width past the half mark, after filling up when the gas pump stops by itself. 70 mph. BUT....I never refilled it to see how many gallons it actually burned. I'll have to do it, I'm betting I get 26+ on the highway.......

All city driving.....sucks.....200 to a full tank if I drive mostly casually, with a few hard runs. If I have a really hard driving (fun) week, 150 miles to a full tank.

Your getting that with 492 at the wheels and with 3.73's/4l60e I think thats pretty good lol