General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

M6 Getting Hard to Shift

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy M6 Getting Hard to Shift

So I took the car out for a drive tonight, and about thirty minutes in it started to get fairly hard to shift into gear. I came to a stop, pushing the clutch all the way in, and still had quite a bit of difficulty shifting from neutral to first. Pulling into my carport soon afterwards, I stopped and attempted to shift into reverse, and it entirely refused to go in, no matter what I tried. Also, when I shifted into the other gears the transmission made a clicking noise sometimes, and also hummed/buzzed abnormally (I could be imagining that one though).

I've only had the car a bit more than a week, but it shifted fairly smoothly previously. I was doing a bit of spirited driving, but nothing too crazy, so I don't think it could be that. Any ideas on what it could be? Master/slave cylinder? Clutch? Shifter? Help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Anybody?
Old 08-05-2011, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How does your clutch pedal feel? Is it consistant through its travel or does it seem to sink with no resistance at first? If so (the sinking part), check your brake fluid res., which is located near the cowl in the engine bay on the driver's side. If it's low, fill it up and take it for a spin for a while. If your problems come back then you probably have a bad master cylinder...
Old 08-05-2011, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Well, it was somewhat like you describe, easy to push in at first. Still didn't shift too well, but I could actually shift into reverse, and all the other gears, this time. I walked inside, and my dad takes a look at it. Twenty minutes later, the thing shifts perfectly. He says he did nothing to it though

Oh well, magic fix for the win!
Old 08-05-2011, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol, okay! Magic fix definitely for the win!

Good luck lol
Old 08-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Check your clutch and transmission fluid levels. That stuff changes physically with temperature and you can get shifting problems if your tranny fluid is low.