General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Another "what window part broke" thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 02:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another "what window part broke" thread

After doing some research I still can't really figure it out and the last owner put dynomat in but didn't cut out the window holes, otherwise I'd just look in the door. Car is a 98 firebird formula. I left the windows down when I was parking, got out, and closed the door behind me. When I closed it, I heard a little clunk sort of sound. Now whenever I roll up the driver's side window I have to roll it up a little, make sure the window is back all the way in the slider, then as it rolls up I have to support it from falling too far in towards me. Anyone have any idea which part of the window assembly this is/might be and where I can find it?? Thanks
Old 08-17-2011, 07:26 AM
On The Tree

my last TA had the same problem, I think it was the window regulator technically but it always looked like a PITA to fix so I never bothered. My current TA doesn't have that problem yet at least. Thank god.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Yea man i have a 99 firebird and it did the exact thing.The window would go down but it would go up about 1in at a time! I could also move it when I got it a lil ways up. The window stablizer was broken along with the motor. So, I replaced the motor and the regulator i had to jeery rig the window stablizer. It took me about 3 hrs to do
because I didnt have rivit
tools. I think that would be your best bet.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Damn, alright I'll try the window regulator and go from there. Thanks guys. Any other ideas?
Old 08-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Classic problem - probably this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...w-related.html
Old 08-18-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's it!!! I think..haha, that's the one thing I could see was off so it looks like I'll try and give it a little weld and see how it goes. Thanks wssix99
Old 08-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

NP - Be careful welding there. You don't want the glass to crack under thermal shock. The best method would be to take the glass out before you weld it, but I think others have had success doing it in the car.