General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

No Headlights, high or low beams

Old 08-20-2011, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Headlights, high or low beams

2001 camaro ss m6, last night i went out and started my car and i had no headlights what so ever. i still have fog lights, turn signals, tail lights everything but no headlights any ideas??. checked all the fuses that i could find and none of them are blown. when i try and click the lever on to high beam, theirs nothing on the gauges saying that high beams are on , aka blue high beam light. the lights worked fine yesterday morning but last night they just wentout. i ve been told to check the grounds, and the manual says circuit breaker of some sort, but i don't no were all the grounds are located or the "fuse link" or Circuit breaker. iam lost for words any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by NowlinX22; 08-20-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the fuse box under the hood on the driver side. Under neath it is the fusable links. Usually they'll be red wires with what looks like vinyl tape on it. If one is burnt through that is the problem. Otherwise just check the fuses to see if any are burnt out in that box or in the panel on the driver side of the dash.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99SSJarhead
Check the fuse box under the hood on the driver side. Under neath it is the fusable links. Usually they'll be red wires with what looks like vinyl tape on it. If one is burnt through that is the problem. Otherwise just check the fuses to see if any are burnt out in that box or in the panel on the driver side of the dash.
Agreed. But if you don't locate the problem there then go to the signal wire coming into the fuse box from the headlight switch and check to make sure your ground there is good. The headlight switch basicly just works like a ground so if you have nothing coming from the switch then you know its bad even though the fog lights are still working.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Teching In

ok, ill take a look at it first thing tomorrow and try to see if i can locate the ground wire/ fusable link. hopefully that is the problem. Also i forgot to add i testes the plug ins,( plugs that plug into the bulbs) with a test light and i had no power with the light switch on, but hopefully everything will work out so i can drive this my car considering i just put about $3400 worth of parts/labor into the car. any more ideas please let me no thanks.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:38 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Your fusible link is fine. Its probably just a bad headlight switch or a bad high beam switch. (Very common.)

Check to see if you have voltage going in to the headlight switch and going out. If so, do the same at the high beam switch and you should find the culprit.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Teching In

ok. i checked the fusible link, they both looked fine, aka not burn or anything. next i took the switch out and tested it as well. i am getting power to it and when i turn the switch *** all the way to the right its sending power out. so now iam at a loss for words. the only thing i can think of is check all the grounds, that i can find. do you think it might be the high beam switch its self??? if it was wouldn't i still have low beams ???
Old 08-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Teching In

OK i found the problem, thank god.when i replaced the master cylinder,which was a bitch by yourself and for some reason i can't get all the air out of the line, so i started tracing all the wires down, first wire was green wire that leaded to a connection right next to the steering column.( as in pic) so i started looking at the connection it it was half way unplugged!!! only thing i can figure is i might have bumped it when installing the Master Cylinder so i plugged it in and Bam headlights worked thanks again for all your help and any ideas or thread u no of how to get all the air out of the clutch system would be helpful as well.
No Headlights, high or low beams-100_1905.jpg
No Headlights, high or low beams-100_1906.jpg
Old 08-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Cool. ^^ FYI - That's the connector to your high beam switch. There is a metal rod that links to the turn signal lever, travels down the steering column, and presses that switch when you turn your high beams on/off.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Teching In

sweetness, thanks again for ur help
Old 02-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Having the same problem except on an 01 Camaro automatic. Would it be the same? All the fuses are good. I did a th350 conversion is there anything in the automatic shifter that would cause it? All my lights work except the headlights
Old 03-25-2018, 10:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NowlinX22
OK i found the problem, thank god.when i replaced the master cylinder,which was a bitch by yourself and for some reason i can't get all the air out of the line, so i started tracing all the wires down, first wire was green wire that leaded to a connection right next to the steering column.( as in pic) so i started looking at the connection it it was half way unplugged!!! only thing i can figure is i might have bumped it when installing the Master Cylinder so i plugged it in and Bam headlights worked thanks again for all your help and any ideas or thread u no of how to get all the air out of the clutch system would be helpful as well.
Attachment 312061
Attachment 312062
I’m having the same problem with no power to my headlight wires can you tell me where these wires or located I can’t really tell from the pictures
Old 03-25-2018, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts

There is also a box under the dash buried up in there that can also be the issue. That was the case once upon a time with mine. It's basically a relay block. I'll try and pull a schematic for it. This could also be the case if your switch and fuses/wiring are all good.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The box you're referring to is the DRL module. It is mounted to the defroster duct behind the radio and handles the automatic operation of the headlights along with the DRLs and turn signals. However, it does not affect the normal manual operation of the lights as it is wired in parallel to the headlight switch (i.e. you could remove it and still have manual headlights working).

The best course of action would be to get a test light or multimeter and test for power at each point in the headlight circuit. Start with the lights themselves and check for power on the tan wire at the back of the lamps. Then check for power on the yellow wire at the headlight switch. If you have power at the headlight switch but not at the lamp then move down to the high beam switch... check for input power on the yellow wire and output power on the tan wire. If input but no output, replace the switch. If there is no output power on the yellow wire at the headlight switch, check for input power on the red wire there. Again, if you have input power but no output, replace the switch. If there's no input power, check the fusible link.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No Headlights, high or low beams