General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tick master leak, DOT3 to blame?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tick master leak, DOT3 to blame?

I've been having a problem ever since installing my Tick master cylinder with it leaking where the rubber reservoir hose goes into the plastic reservoir on the MC. At first I thought the actual MC itself was leaking from the blue and gold fittings since that's where it was dripping from, I tightened both the blue 11/16 fitting and the gold 9/16 fitting but after a closer look I saw the fluid running down from the hose. So the Tick itself is leak free but I can't seem to find a way to stop the fluid from coming out of the hose, I originally had only one zip tie on it, I took the entire assembly out and confirmed it was leaking from the hose, I put a good ammount of high temp RTV gasket maker on the plastic reservoir nipple and then inside the tip of the hose about 1/2 in deep, put the hose on even more than I originally had it and when doing so a good amount of the RTV pushed out so it looked like it was going to make a real nice seal, then put TWO zip ties on the hose. I waited a full 24 hours for the RTV to cure then today added some fluid to the reservoir and held it above the MC to simulate it how it is when installed for about 5 min without a single drop leaking. Installed it and took the car around the block only to find it leaking again once I got back in the driveway, I know for a fact RTV will seal to rubber but I'm not so sure about its ability to seal to plastic, but could the DOT3 brake fluid be eating away at the RTV sealant?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:35 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a new hose, the only thing close to it is fuel injection hose. Any parts store carries them.
I used fuel injection pressure clamp on the inlet of my tick dry no problems.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you haven't resolved this yet we can send you a piece of hose that should work. It really shouldn't be difficult to get your hose to seal to the white nipple. The leak may not be where the hose meets the nipple at all however....we have had a few nipples that had a manufacturing flaw from Tilton and would leak due to a tiny pin-hole where the nipple meets the rest of the cap.

Let me know what you come up with and if necessary we would be glad to send out a new white cap or hose.

-Jonathan

Quick Reply: Tick master leak, DOT3 to blame?