General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steering Routing

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Steering Routing

I had the lines off of my power steering pump and I mistakenly forgot to make note of the setup. I wanted to make sure I have the routing correct when I put everything back together. It should go from the pump to the bottom hole on the rack, the top hole on the rack to the cooler, then the cooler to the reservoir correct? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Bump up. Someone gotta have some info on it
Old 08-29-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would take the lines off and put teflon tape around them to make sure that my power steering rack will not be leaking from that area in the future.

attached are some pictures of my power steering rack and the underside of my water pump.

i think my water pump is dead. do you agree? see below for further info.
1429 is a picture of the underside of my water pump. you can see where it is wet.
1430 is a picture of my power steering rack. you can see the coolant on the oil pan (my water pump has to be dead right?). i took these pictures last night. the coolant was moving down the front cover of the engine this afternoon when the car was out in the heat. you guys ever see a PS rack look this nasty? what do you think is causing my rack to look that disgusting? coolant, power steering fluid, something else?
1431 and 1432 are just more pictures of my power steering assembly.
1433 is a picture of the puddle underneath my car's water pump. (again, my water pump has to be dead, right?) it looks like there may be some oil in there.

My questions are:
1. From the pictures, do you think that my water pump is dead?
2. What do you think is causing my power steering rack to look this way?
3. You guys see the zip ties on the sway bar? that is where the big thick black wire that goes to the battery is run (Thanks lethal performance!) The big thick red power wire is ran across the radiator from its mounting point near the engine bay's fuse box all the way to the positive side of the battery. does anyone have a diagram or picture of how these wires are originally supposed to be run throughout the engine bay?

Thanks,
jdoyle
Attached Thumbnails
how to flush power steering system of my 2000 LS1 camaro?-dsc01429.jpg how to flush power steering system of my 2000 LS1 camaro?-dsc01430.jpg how to flush power steering system of my 2000 LS1 camaro?-dsc01431.jpg how to flush power steering system of my 2000 LS1 camaro?-dsc01432.jpg how to flush power steering system of my 2000 LS1 camaro?-dsc01433.jpg
Old 08-29-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there should have been pics with this thread, if not do a search for this one had some decent pics of rack and lines.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
Bump up. Someone gotta have some info on it
The metal HIGH pressure line that comes out of the passengers side of the pump goes down to the BOTTOM hole. The top hole then goes to the cooler.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the info LS6427. Thats how I had it routed, but its nice to have reassurance.

Originally Posted by jam01
there should have been pics with this thread, if not do a search for this one had some decent pics of rack and lines.
I couldnt find your thread when I searched your name. If you put a link in Ill be glad to take a look.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah sorry about that, its in search under how to flush power steering system. there were some pics that i thought might help you.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Routing