General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

NEED HELP! Engine cutting out and bucking!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP! Engine cutting out and bucking!

Hi all,

This is my first post. I have a 2002 Firebird Formula which I bought back in 2002.

Earlier this year a woman ran a red light and hit my front left quarter panel, while it was in the shop being "fixed" I had my mechanic swap out the motor too, which is something I have wanted to do for a long time.

It was swapped with a 2002 C5 LS1 block with lingenfelter heads, Weiand intake manifold, new cam (never was given type and specs), and FAST fuel injector system.

It was professionally dyno and calibrated. When they drove it down to me, the guy dropping it off said it started to do something weird.

When I hopped in, she started ok, but as i started accelerating, everything went wrong.

Under hard acceleration, or just cruising (aka when engine is under load), it will intermittently cut out. When this happens, the Service Engine Soon light will flicker, and the speedometer will either jump or drop 20mph. Also the whole cluster panel flickers, and eventually the service vehicle light stays on. The car will buck and feels like a miss firing hell. When i turn off the car and back on, it seems to reset all the issues that were wrong, until it first bucks again.

Recently I had enough of checking for grounds, plug connections, and all that BS, and took it to a dealer that I thought i trusted. They called back and said it was throwing codes for the TPS and IAC, and that the battery cable was "loose". They also said the throttle body had a bit of carbon buildup on it, so they cleaned it. I told them to go ahead and replace the parts out of pure frustration

It was 500 in parts and labor, they said they drove it and it was fine... i got it back and within the first 2 minutes of me driving, it did the exact same thing. I am currently holding payment from the dealership to try and see if anyone else has had the same problems when doing cam, head, and manifold upgrades...

PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Old 09-02-2011, 09:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar issue a few months ago after getting a mail tune back. The car wouldn't even stay running and kept surging, however found it was merely the PCM was not plugged all the way in...

Quick Reply: NEED HELP! Engine cutting out and bucking!