General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cooling fans

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling fans

So my 1998 Trans Am has some cooling problems apparently... Awhile back it started overheating on the highway, so I figured the thermostat was bad (as far as records indicate, it has never been replaced), so I replaced that with an OEM replacement. Now the radiator fans won't kick on. The strange thing is the A/C system will kick the fans on, but the temp will go up and past 210* (at which point a shut it down or get up to speed), but just idling there the temp will go keep going up. I checked the 'COOL FAN' fuses (40 amp and the 10amp) under the hood, and both are fine, also tested the 'FAN #1, #2, #3' relays as well, they're functional.

Ideas as to how to get my fans to kick on in OEM fashion?
Old 10-10-2011, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump..
Old 10-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Any missing/stumbling anywhere in the rpm range?

Could just be a bad Coolant Temp Sensor. In the 98' F-Bodys when they start to fail they will make the engine run terrible.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

The AC kicks on one fan or both fans? I would suspect a burnt motor in the "regular" fan if it is not coming on. The one towards the ac compressor is typically deemed the ac fan, and the one on the other side of the engine is the general cooling fan activated by coolant temperature. Also, you should not be overheating on the hwy with a burnt fan motor because the airflow is already there from the speed of the vehicle and fans typically shutdown anyway above a certain speed. So more diagnosis is needed. Remember a scan tool or hptuners/efilive can command the fans to come on to help you isolate the problem.