General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car will not start!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Car will not start!

OK. So the other night i get home from my long commute to work. 110 miles round trip. Everything seems normal when I shut the car off. I go out to leave later that night and the car wont start.? I figure its the battery since I had to get a jump a few days before and my trip on the odometer and my cd player both reset. Plus, the car has been sounding weak on startup, but that could be the starter going out. So I decide its time for a new battery and new alternator. I get both replaced and go for the start up. Nothing but a click from the starter.? Ok. maybe I just have to jump it the first time?. So, I hook up and go to start the car again. Same thing. starter just clicks one time. If I hold the key down for a second(no more than 3 sec) like Im trying to start the car, I can watch the voltage drop gradually. I can think of a few other big problems it might be but im trying to stay optimistic at this point. All fuses are good. terminals good. alternator is good. I hope its the starter, but prolly not since i can watch the voltage drop. the grounds are all good. I havent checked for any coolant in the intake or anything like that yet. What should i check next or what else could be the issue?
Old 10-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you charge the new battery before using it? Do you have a volt meter handy?
Old 10-14-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

charge the new battery? I get batteries at autozone and they come ready to install.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a bad connection to the battery or the starter. Sight can deceive you on this one.. so make 100% sure you have a good connection on the ground and hot side.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you fix it?