General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

trans am over heating

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans am over heating

its been a bad day for me guys... long story short- popped my coolant hose going into the block (im a horrible mechanic, bare with my lack of knowledge). we fixed it, had to get a water flow control valve. we finally get that done, refill the reservoir with coolant and it starts back up... now it's over heating. we're trying to figure out if we installed the valve wrong or if the thermostat went to bed too. has anybody had this problem before?
Old 10-16-2011, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

If the thermostat is opening then it sounds like you have air in the system.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Da'-hell is a water flow control valve.......?

And filling that overflow reservoir does absolutely nothing for you....you MUST top off the radiator..........

Yes...probably just an air pocket. You have to bleed that sucker....here ya go:

**Bleeding the system of air:
Take the radiator cap off when its COLD, top it off, start it up and let it idle, and let it warm up till the t-stat opens. I rapidly squeeze the upper and lower radiator hose like 20 times each while its warming up to help move any air bubbles through the system and by the t-stat on the engine side. When the t-stat opens you’ll see the level drop as you squeeze the hoses, its sucking the coolant through the system. You will also see the coolant start to flow in the radiator fill neck, once it starts to flow the level should drop down a lot, IMMEDIATELY top it off with coolant/water. Then the flow will stop when the t-stat closes. Wait one more time for the t-stat to open again and start to flow, if it drops down again top it off again. Do it a 3rd time if you want to make sure. When the level does NOT drop down when the t-stat opens and coolant is flowing....you're system is free of air bubbles. I always squeeze the upper hose during the whole process to keep any air bubbles moving through. Always works like a charm. Just keep checking your temp gauge until the t-stat opens for the first time to make sure it’s not sitting there overheating from a trapped bubble. May take 10-15 minutes for the t-stat to open the first time.
If you do start to get hot while sitting there and the t-stat will not open…..you have an air bubble on the engine side of the t-stat. Shut the engine off and rapidly squeeze the upper and lower radiator hoses again. Then start the engine again and see if the t-stat will open. Sometimes you just have to work those hoses to move the air through. Even after it seems topped off after a couple cycles…check it the next time you have a cold engine…top off if needed.

Last edited by LS6427; 10-16-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Hey LS6427, you NEVER tire of advising guys on here how to do this procedure the right way! Hats off to you, your writeup sure helped me! Sticky time perhaps?
Old 10-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Teching In

yeah we topped off the radiator as well. neglected to use the bleeder valves now that i think about it. i will try your recommendation ls6427
Old 10-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pewter2002
^ Hey LS6427, you NEVER tire of advising guys on here how to do this procedure the right way! Hats off to you, your writeup sure helped me! Sticky time perhaps?
Thank ya..... I'll tell people what works, if it works for me.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
Thank ya..... I'll tell people what works, if it works for me.

well it definitely worked for me. did what you told me. took forever due to the car heating up so fast. but just finished up and the car seems to be running normal. left the car on for 15 minutes and the temp didn't fly up. giving it a break and will do further testing tomorrow. don't mean to sound arrogant, but i'm an awesome driver, but i'm a horrible mechanic. your instructions were clear and precise. i'm very appreciative. idk how this site works, i'm a newbie. is there a rating thing? if there is id like to drop you a positive review. again thanks man.

and also thanks jamrws6
Old 10-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by darkknight774
well it definitely worked for me. did what you told me. took forever due to the car heating up so fast. but just finished up and the car seems to be running normal. left the car on for 15 minutes and the temp didn't fly up. giving it a break and will do further testing tomorrow. don't mean to sound arrogant, but i'm an awesome driver, but i'm a horrible mechanic. your instructions were clear and precise. i'm very appreciative. idk how this site works, i'm a newbie. is there a rating thing? if there is id like to drop you a positive review. again thanks man.

and also thanks jamrws6
It worked, you're back on the road with no issues...thats enough for me....