General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

No Heat

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No Heat

I have a 97 Formula with no heat, I have taken the heater hoses off the water pump and sprayed through the heater core from both ends until it was clear coming out the other side. No leaks no problems. I was ceartain this would have fixed the no heat problem.

Upon the first drive after flushing it I noticed the temp rose up to normal and then dropped to almose 100 degrees. I then felt a little heat coming out YES! After a couple miles this went away and the heat was gone. Maybe something is plugging it hell I don't know. I guess one more time flushing it won't hurt before I resort to a new heater core.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds to me like your thermostat is possibly sticking open, not allowing the engine to get to operating temperature..theyre not expensive, and not hard to replace..somthing id look into
Old 10-29-2011, 05:54 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^^^^^....yea, try that first. Or just take the t-stat out, put the housing back on, go for a drive and see if you get heat normally. If you do....go get a new t-stat.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS6427
^^^^^....yea, try that first. Or just take the t-stat out, put the housing back on, go for a drive and see if you get heat normally. If you do....go get a new t-stat.

wouldnt you think though thatd totally contradict what hes trying to do which is get heat? pretty much the same thing as a thermostat sticking open.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JaYZeig
wouldnt you think though thatd totally contradict what hes trying to do which is get heat? pretty much the same thing as a thermostat sticking open.
If the t-stat is sticking partially closed....he won't get good heat to the core. If he takes the t-stat completely out just as a test....he'll get massive coolant flow to the core. If he gets his heat back totally......then it WAS a sticking t-stat. If he still gets no heat....its not the t-stat and he should look into a clogged heater core or heater hose.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:50 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for all the replies.

The t state was changed and the engine gets warm but I believe the heater core must be partially clogged, I will try flushing again today if it doesn't work i will have to get a new core.

Spraying with a jet stream from a garden hose it seemed to come out ok on the other side through the core but I do not know how much pressure the water pump puts through it.

Thanks again!
Old 10-30-2011, 08:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you getting all of the air out of the cooling system w/ the heater on? If you pull the thermostat and let the engine run for 5-10 mins w/ the heater on you should be getting heat.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:51 PM
TECH Regular

Success!

After the second heater core flushing and playing around with it I finally have heat.

Thanks again for everyones help!!
Old 10-30-2011, 03:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jr.Samples
Success!

After the second heater core flushing and playing around with it I finally have heat.

Thanks again for everyones help!!
Same t-stat?

What did you do to get it to flow?

Old 10-31-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

I changed the t stat before flushing. I honestly do not know exactly what I did beyond flushing it a second time for an extended period of time.