General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

04 gto puzzler

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 gto puzzler

I just bought an 04 gto ls1/m6 with cam(unknown) and exhaust. i drove it home for 2 hours straight no problems. been driving it for the past four days some.

But anyways, i was driving it today and i downshifted from 4th to 2nd just playing around and all the sudden the car started running like doo doo under a load and had no power and was backfireing though the exhaust and some out the intake. it won't even do a burnout on finished concrete, i just bogs..

anyone have any ideas on this? everything seems fine motor wise, no odd noises or anything. the check engine light wason,then it started flashing before all this happened then went off?? it flashed twice like this today

the car needs to be tuned but it was running fine before

I had a littleextratime to pull the covers and for the check of it I went ahead and pulled the pushrods to check for a bent one and here what I come up with.

The best I can tell it has patriot golds dual springswith titanium retainers

And the pushrods look aftermarket, they look new and have some light machining swirls likea candy cane

All thestuff looked basically new and nothing was broke/bent the best I could tell.

I pulled the plugs to change them and number 7s gap was closed! What the heck?

And pretty much all of them had oil on the threads.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Okay so I changed theplugs and seems to run fine other than it will cut out every now and then when I floor it. No backfires like before other than once out the exhaust when it gets down to 2k from 5500 which I figure is from loading up on fuel.

And the codes showing now are
PO102- mass or volume air flow circuitlow input (shows twice?)
PO101- mass or volume air flow circuitrange performance
And the occasional flashing light at idle is bank 2 too lean

The maf that came on the car was a newer looking reman and I had a gm one laying around so I put it on and it shows the same codes
Old 10-30-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Trying clearing the codes then check again with substitute maf? Or maybe a break in the circuit to the maf. You can disconnect the plug and check with a multimeter, with the key on - one of the wires should be +5, one should be gnd (don't remember which color is which).
Old 10-30-2011, 11:48 PM
Launching!

alright cool, ill check the wires when i get a chance.

and i cleared the codes with both maf's and still shows the same. i'm not positive the one i had laying around was good, i got it with another motor.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Well I checked the wires and I had one 5v one ground and one 12v