General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

99 TA turn signal problem. NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 99 TA turn signal problem. NEED HELP!

The driver front DRL/turn signal light lights up solid, but will not flash. Not even when the hazards are on. All the other lights on the car flash just fine (including the driver side rear), but this one is nada. Bad wire? Bad Flasher? Bad recepticle? I have no idea where to go from here or how to test this stuff with a multimeter (although I do have one), and could really use an assist. Thx in advance to anyone who can help.

P.S. I also switched the front bulbs to see if that was the problem, but the bulb that was staying on blinks just fine in the passenger side recepticle, and the one the WAS in the passenger side recepticle and working fine now stays lit solid with no blinking, so I don't think it's the bulb.

Last edited by smgbad; 11-08-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Ok... Anybody want to buy a 99 TA? lol

Just went to AutoZone and replaced the recepticle and bulb. No good... Lights solid when parking lights or headlights are on, but stays solid when turn signal or hazards are on. When headlights/parking lights are off nothing at all...

Since the passenger side and both rears still work, it can't be the flashers from what I've read on here, sooo.... what is my next step? I REALLY need help here.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

your plug receptible is bad,i went to autozone and bought a whole new pigtail,but you can just change the center piece,i bet its brown and burnt looking
Old 11-08-2011, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

also there are 2 flashers,one for ts and the other for flashers,they have been known to burn out one side,they should be interchangable,do yourself a faver and drill a small hole at the rearward bottom of your front ts lamp,gets rid of the moisture
Old 11-08-2011, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

I did replace the recepticle today and that isnt the problem. And the flashers cant be the issue from what I've read, because all hazards work except the affected light and all turn signals work (and blink) except the affected light.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

So does the driver rear light flash while the driver front is solid? If so, you probably have an electronic flasher in there. You should check that first, because... it gets expensive from here...

You may have a bad DRL module. To confirm, can you describe the behavior of the lights:
- When you lock/unlock the car.
- When the DRLs are on.
- When the headlights are on.
- Turn signals are on with the headlights on. (The bulbs should get double bright. Does the solid one also get brighter?)
- Hazards are on with the headlights on. (same as above)

(If the
Old 11-09-2011, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Wssix99: Everything works perfectly as it should except for that one driver side front signal. The DRL works on it and it is lit solid when the headlights or parking lights are on. If you turn the hazards on, all the lights except that one blink (that one just cuts itself off until you turn the hazards off). If you turn on the driver side turn signal, the back flashes properly and the driver front turns itself off (and again, won't turn back on til the turn signal is off).

I checked the flasher and it was the standard small metal can type.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Save the manuals!

So, when you have the hazards on, the bad light stays off. When the headlights are on with the hazards, that light should stay lit, correct?

There are two filaments in the bulb. One for the parking lights and one for the DRL/turn signal/hazard.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Thx Wssix99

Ok... so here were my findings from today.

Headlights on / turn signal or hazards off : Light stays lit. Pulling 12 volts on the brown wire.

Headlights on / turn signal or hazards on : Light stays lit. Pulling 12 volts on brown wire. No voltage to the blue wire. All other signals working.

Headlights off / turn signal or hazards off (DRL on): Light is on and brighter. Blue wire pulling 12 V. Brown wire has no voltage.

Headlights off / turn signal or hazards on: Light goes out and stays out. No voltage found. All other signals working.

Connected recepticle ground to a different ground entirely and repeated tests. No difference.

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited by smgbad; 11-09-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Save the manuals!

Sounds like the DRL module. You've proven that the socket and wires are good.

It sounds like one of the relays in there is messed up. I can't think of anything else it could be.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

You are correct sir!

Turned on ACC power and turn signal and checked voltages on the light blue/white stripe (driver side input from switch) wire at the plug for the DRL module behind the radio. Getting flashing voltage. Jumped the light blue/white pin with the light blue solid pin. Turn signal working!!!

Solution: Bypassed the DRL module by clipping and connecting light blue/white to light blue solid and dark blue/white to dark blue solid. Both sets of turn signals are now working great (and if I ever want DRL again, I can just buy a new module and reconnect to the plug).

Thanks to everyone for all the help!

Quick Reply: 99 TA turn signal problem. NEED HELP!