General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird electrical issue with wipers, windows

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird electrical issue with wipers, windows

Yesterday while driving the 01 Camaro Z in to work I was running the wipers. They had just recently stopped working in the intermittent settings and would only work full speed. Then they just stopped all together. I could stop the car and pull on the arm and they would go back to the rest setting. After work they work fine again. Now it's back to just full speed. But if I push the windshield washer setting to wash the windshield they work fine. Today I went to go to lunch and I noticed that I could roll down the passengers window with my drivers switch but not back up. But if I go over and hit the passengers window switch I can move the window up but not down. ????

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Two separate problems.

1) Your wiper switch is going bad. Your washer switch is a separate thing and is imbedded in the arm. The wiper switch is in the steering column and the arm plugs in to it. The good news - it can be replaced. The bad news - its a total PITA and requires some advanced skills. You have to get all the way to step 21.C. in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...mn-repair.html (I wrote it when I had to tear apart things to replace my wiper switch.)

2) You have a bad passenger window switch on the driver's side arm rest.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wipers wouldn't always go down to the rest position when my alternator was going bad, after I replaced the alternator I haven't had a problem since.
I don't know if that's your problem, but I'm just throwing it out there..
Old 11-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The wiggling of the arm is the key telltale point. If the switch is bad, wiggling the turn signal lever will intermittently make the contacts in the switch.