General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

squeak/grind? noise from the front

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeak/grind? noise from the front

Hey guys, Ive got an 01 ws6 with strano springs, bilstein shocks, and i live in arizona. ive got alot more done but those mods are whats in this area. Anyway, since the weather has gotten cooler, and now there's rain once in a while, ive developed some sort of noise from the front of the car. It happens when i turn the wheel slightly either way, whether im stopped or moving. I can only describe the sound as it happens when its wet. it sounds like either a metal on metal sound, or a metal on rubber sound. I recently had the suspension pumped with grease, and that didnt solve the problem. What could this be? its like a squeak, but a monstrous squeak. There's some weight/force behind it. Any ideas? Its a loud noise too
Old 11-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have someone turn the wheel while you try to isolate the side or area that the noise is coming from. Start by listening to the power steering pump for "chatter". Then, listen at both sides of the suspension for noise from the upper or lower ball joints or tie rod ends. All of these cars have non-greaseable joints from the factory. Did yours have the ball joints and tie rods replaced with greaseable units?