General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

SES Code P0410 - Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default SES Code P0410 - Any ideas?

Hi!

I am getting an error code P0410:Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction.

Any ideas on this? I remember reading a little bit that its the Air Pump (smog pump). I also read that some people remove it completely?..

Will I not pass emissions without it?
-I've also noticed that between 50-60mph I get this vacumn sounding noise from the engine compartment whenever I give it some gas, probably the Air pump?

Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 12-02-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic9013.php
Old 12-03-2011, 08:45 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 777Shock777
Hi!

I am getting an error code P0410:Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction.

Any ideas on this? I remember reading a little bit that its the Air Pump (smog pump). I also read that some people remove it completely?..

Will I not pass emissions without it?
-I've also noticed that between 50-60mph I get this vacumn sounding noise from the engine compartment whenever I give it some gas, probably the Air pump?

Any ideas? Thanks!
I had that problem too a few years back in my '97Z. It is the air/smog pump and you have to figure out what the issue is. With my car, I didn't understand what the problem was because the pump cycled on and off when I tested it, but I still got the code. I ended up having to replace the hoses and it worked.

Anyway, to answer your question yes, it is an emissions component so you'll automatically fail smog. The best thing would be to delete the system but then you'd have to get it tuned out or you'd still set off a code and automatically fail the smog test. As for the sound you're hearing at speed? I don't think that's the smog/air pump; that thing only works for a little bit during start-up for emissions, someone correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 12-04-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
Sweet Thanks!

Originally Posted by myk
I had that problem too a few years back in my '97Z. It is the air/smog pump and you have to figure out what the issue is. With my car, I didn't understand what the problem was because the pump cycled on and off when I tested it, but I still got the code. I ended up having to replace the hoses and it worked.

Anyway, to answer your question yes, it is an emissions component so you'll automatically fail smog. The best thing would be to delete the system but then you'd have to get it tuned out or you'd still set off a code and automatically fail the smog test. As for the sound you're hearing at speed? I don't think that's the smog/air pump; that thing only works for a little bit during start-up for emissions, someone correct me if I'm wrong...
Cool! If it really doesn't do that much for the system I may as well delete it, the thing is I have to have emissions done in two days... I do have a code reader, (that deletes them too), I might try to delete the code for now - then remove the system itself later.

Whatcha think?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: SES Code P0410 - Any ideas?