General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil Leak

Old 12-19-2011, 03:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak

I have oil leaks on my ls1. One is right under the throttle body, where the intake meets the valley cover. I also have one where the engine meets the tranny on the bottom of the car. I want to get rid of the leaks so how should I pinpoint the leaks. I have a feeling one is the rear main seal and the other the valley gasket. What do you guys think?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol well at least urs isint as bad as mine... I go through half a court of oil a week between blow by, oil pan leak, and rear main seal leak... My solution was start all over and just get a new engine lol good luck with urs wish I could help but I haven't even fixed mine yet.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:09 AM

I have a ls 6 that leaks at rear cover only under high load after a big run. Any ideas why it would leak at rear cover only after a high speed run?
Old 01-21-2012, 07:40 AM
11 Second Club

Check your oil pressure sender. Unplug it and see if the connection is oily. Its pretty easy to replace without pulling the intake if you have the special socket and dont have gorilla hands.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IF you have oil under your throttle body, the first thing you need to look at is the PCV hose that goes into it, That should be the only way oil is getting up to that part of the engine,,GET A CATCH CAN, that will help keep oil out of your intake.
If you suspect the rear main, put the car up on stands, and remove the inspection cover, take a good bright light, and look up at the rear main, if you see any oil above it, then the leak is coming from up top, valley cover gasket, oil pressure sender, busted PCV hose. If the oil is only below the seal then its leaking. If you see oil on the sides of the cover right where the pan meets, then look up higher on the engine, if oil is running down its coming from the valve cover, or filter housing, or bypass cap, if not and its just around where the pan meets the block then it is the pan gasket. Hope this helps

Search this Thread