General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Lower Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lower Control Arms

How hard is it to change the lower control arm bushings? Mine are shot to hell and I was just curious how hard it would be to change myself because a shop wants to charge me about $260. Also, what bushings should I buy??

Thanks, Chad!
Old 12-22-2011, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just buy new control arms. Cant pick them up for around $115 for non-adjustable or bout $185 for adjustable ones depending on where you buy them from and they will have new bushings in them.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

How do I and how hard would It be for me to install in my garage?
Old 12-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your replacing the lower control arms, all you do is jack up the rear, unbolt the arms, pop em out, put on the new ones, and bolt em back in. Sometimes they can be a little hard to get them all lined up, but you shouldn't have a problem with doing it in your garage
Old 12-22-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

The replacement bushings from MOOG are the 1LE equilivent. (I think even the autozone ones are the same, about $12 a bushing. Replace them with these, not a full control arm with aftermarket crap bushings and no articulation.

Ryan
Old 12-23-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hell of a lot cheaper to just replace the bushings with a set of MOOGS i did mine a while ago. But i will tell you they are a pain in the ***. If you dont have an arbor press have fun trying to remove and install them. I used and arbor press with a bunch of different sockets/adapters/metal blocks to hold the arms level in the press and then push them out/install the new ones. i had tried pressing them out with a actual control arm bushing C-clamp and the adapters, after only about trying for 10min i knew that was not going to work.

Quick Reply: Lower Control Arms