General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What is it NOW?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 01:52 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default What is it NOW?

Hey guys. I was going through my routine of getting onto the freeway, and setting the car on cruise control at 70 when I noticed the RPM's started bouncing from 2500 to 3000. I turned the cruise control off to see if that was the issue but the RPM's continued to bounce. After the car had a chance to warm up the problem seemed to go away. I'm guessing the A4's slipping, but I was hoping to get more insight into this; what specifically do you guys think is broken here? This is all on my '97Z with 113K miles, the transmission having been rebuilt about 10years/30K miles ago-it gets driven on weekends only and is never beat on. There are no codes from the engine, I don't know if the chassis is throwing anything or how that would even show itself.

Also, just how the hell do you read the 'trans dipstick anyway? Whenever I pull that thing out it has beautiful red fluid all over one side of the stick but it's bone dry on the other.

Thanks in advance...
Old 12-28-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It definately sounds like your trans is slipping, Hate to state the obvious but low fluid can cause that exact issue. Best way to check the fluid for me is to drive the car, let it get up to temp, Then park it, keep it running, then pull the stick, wipe it, put it back in, and remove it to check. The fluid is on both sides of the stick although it is easier to read on the one side go figure.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:21 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah that's just it-reading the fluid level on the stick is tricky because it only really works on one side. I just made the call that it was low and added half a quart. Don't seem to be having any problems now. Freaking LT1 F bodies, man.

Anyway thanks for the response...
Old 12-29-2011, 02:30 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I'm not so sure that the issue was the trans....

- First, you mentioned being at 2500rpm @70mph. Do you have aftermarket gears? I'm just curious, because no 4L60E car would be at that high of an rpm with a locked TC in OD on a 25.66" tire and a 2.73 or 3.23 gear.

- Second, if the trans was so bad off that it was slipping in and out of gear at steady-speed cruise, then I would expect that you'd have plenty of issues with shifting and flare-ups under acceleration as well.

There may have been an issue with the TCC, possibily related to the trans or fluid level, or possibily erroneous input from a sensor, or a misfire.

If it comes back, more digging would be needed before making the call that you have a hard parts issue within the trans. Hopefully, it won't come back though.