General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery gauge moves?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Battery gauge moves?

Heyyo all,

I've noticed my battery gauge moves depending on what electronic is on and how long the car has been running. It never goes lower then 13 tho!

I just recently replaced the alternator for an oem one. (I know I'll buy a higher rated one when I have a chance off eBay)

I also think it may be time for a new battery, but has anyone noticed there battery gauge moving while driving?
Thanks!
Old 01-07-2012, 02:29 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 777Shock777
I just recently replaced the alternator for an oem one.
Sounds like you have a bad reman alternator. Your purchased a reman, right? Sometimes they re-use components that they shouldn't, like the voltage regulator, which sounds like the part that is bad in yours.

I know I'll buy a higher rated one when I have a chance off eBay
Not necessary unless you have done very specialized mods to the car. All you need is a working alternator and you should be all set. If you go with an alternator larger than what you need, you'll just burn more gas and sap power from the engine.

I also think it may be time for a new battery, but has anyone noticed there battery gauge moving while driving?
A bad battery wouldn't do this. The main thing the battery does for you is start the car. If you aren't having problems starting the car, you should be fine. Since your alternator is not well, it may not be charging your battery properly - which can make it look "bad."
Old 01-07-2012, 11:08 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Heyyo all,

I've noticed my battery gauge moves depending on what electronic is on and how long the car has been running. It never goes lower then 13 tho!

I just recently replaced the alternator for an oem one. (I know I'll buy a higher rated one when I have a chance off eBay)

Thanks!
It's normal to see some movement on the voltage gauge with changing conditions. The reading will be highest right after a cold start, and as the engine (and alternator) warms, you'll notice the charging voltage drop a bit. If it stays over 13 with light to moderate load, then I wouldn't be too concerned. Even a properly functioning factory alternator will dip below 13 if you turn on every possibile accessory at idle.

Having said that, you mentioned "battery gauge moving while driving", now that should not be happening. If you are at steady cruise, charging should be consistant and the needle should stay steady. On the other hand, if you are sitting at idle and turning accessories on and off (such as the blower motor or rear defogger), and/or the cooling fans are cycling on and off, then you should expect to see some movement of the needle.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, I guess I should clarify a bit.. My battery gauge does the higher then normal reading when on a cold start and drops accordingly.

I guess seeing u say it does drop past 13 makes me feel it's operating normally then, it doesn't fluctuate while cruising or on WOT. I will just see the gauge rest at different positions.

So day 1 it's at 13.2 with lights & fog lights on with radio & heater (fan level 2).
So day 2 it's at 13.6 with the same exact level usage.

So idk, maybe it's fine

But yeah I HAVE seen on a previous alternator where the actual battery gauge would go from 13.7 to 8 and back. 0_0
Old 01-07-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That alternator was replaced needless to say!

Quick Reply: Battery gauge moves?