General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Key switch took a shit.... Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Key switch took a ****.... Need Help.

So it all started with it would just completely free up on accessory and you can move the rod and it would start working again. Well now it doesn't want to turn the car off. It'll start it fine just not turn it off without climbing under the dash and manually pulling the rod back to off. Can anybody explain to me how I take this column apart. I've got a few columns I could use for parts but nothing that is worth putting in it. Also if I do the VATS bypass could I use an old style key switch that doesn't use the chip? Or if I end up getting a donor column will I be able to just by pass the VATS and everything work fine with the new column? Thanks
Old 01-15-2012, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You probably have a broken sector gear. Although it could also be a bent rod or damaged rack. It's hard to describe how to tear apart the column, I think there is a walkthrough somewhere on here. You can use this exploded diagram for reference:

http://shbox.com/1/steering_column_exploded.jpg
Old 01-15-2012, 09:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The key switch actually sticks out a little farther than it should now. You can see some of the actual cylinder of the key switch (the silver part). Thanks