General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Emission/Header Leak Question; need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emission/Header Leak Question; need help

So I've got a horrid exhaust leak out of the passenger side, towards the front. I've been dealing with that heart-breaking ticking sound for about a month, because I cannot find the leak, and I haven't a clue what to do. My car had shorty headers on it when I first got it (99 TransAm) and they're still on there. I'm just thinking about putting new headers on it, hopefully eliminating the problem. Now, do I still need to hook up the EGR, or can I get rid of that, and what about O2 sensors? If anybody has an idea about fixing the leak, I would be contempt with that as well. Can a 17 year old kid even do this in the driveway/garage?
Old 01-26-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JR422
So I've got a horrid exhaust leak out of the passenger side, towards the front. I've been dealing with that heart-breaking ticking sound for about a month, because I cannot find the leak, and I haven't a clue what to do. My car had shorty headers on it when I first got it (99 TransAm) and they're still on there. I'm just thinking about putting new headers on it, hopefully eliminating the problem. Now, do I still need to hook up the EGR, or can I get rid of that, and what about O2 sensors? If anybody has an idea about fixing the leak, I would be contempt with that as well. Can a 17 year old kid even do this in the driveway/garage?
I did my header swap in the carport with my ramps, it was a tight fit but you can accomplish this with adequate research, you may need to custom weld the Y pipe though so I would find someone who is willing to help with their equipment. as far as the leak goes, more info would be needed and for the O2 sensors you would want to change them when you switch headers unless you get the ones with heat coating on the inside as some people have reported that the O2s can be fouled while they are getting broken in from some coating burning off. From others on here you would want to use your old O2 sensors for a few weeks and switch them with the news once the headers are broken in, and BTW who the hells puts shortys on a v8 lol
Old 01-26-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

also ticks on the LS1 engine is pretty normal. maybe post a video highlighting the sound you are hearing.