General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

silverado diff sound when turning sharp and in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silverado diff sound when turning sharp and in reverse

say fellas, my 2002 silverado 1500 four wheel drive has started making a noise since i pulled the axles, and now, it is starting to get way worse. i was replacing the brake lines and pulled the axles to put on new dust shields on the back, don't know if i may have damaged a bearing, or whether i installed the c-clips incorrectly. ****, might have even be the oil i put in it. it is a 2002 silverado 4wd, not absolutely sure what kind of diff it is, but it just started makin these noises when i pulled the axles and put em back in. it is sort of like a tsssst tsssst tssst. when i first noticed it, it was doing it all the time then it stopped for a while, then it just recently started doing it again and making more resonant MUURRRR like sounds. i'll see if i can get some sound of it, im sure these subtexts are quite amusing. when it is in reverse, it usually makes a really loud sound like you are scraping a semi trailer on a light pole.

but anyway, what do you think is causing it, the c-clips, a bearing? I will check the diff oil tomorrow and make sure it isn't leaking all out. sorry for the book but this is a matter that needs to be thoroughly explained
Old 02-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Teching In

I would start with the diff fluid. I dont know what kind you used but it needs to have certain additives in it if you have a limited slip differential. Thats also the easiest thing to do first. Lucas oil makes separate additives as well which you mix in with the pre-existing diff fluid. If that doesn't help then you will have to pull the cover and inspect for any problems.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

it's not an lsd, or an eaton locker. it's just an open rear i think, has spider gears. thats the second time i've flushed it. first time didnt do anything. of course all the parts store had this last time was 80w90, had 75w90 in it first time i flushed it and thats recomended but would it really make a difference? i am thinking it's the lock clips or maybe the axle bearings. i filled it flush to the hole, and just recently cleaned off the tag above the fill hole and saw it says it needs to be filled a little below the fill hole. any other suggestions?

Quick Reply: silverado diff sound when turning sharp and in reverse