General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Voltage Problem with good Battery and Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The LS1 alternators are all CS series, I'm not sure if the truck units are considered part of the same design series, but I imagine they would be.

Anyway, if you are using a factory belt tensioner and properly sized belt, then I don't see how belt tension could ever be too tight.

I think you just got a junk alternator the first time. Hopefully this second one will be better, but I wouldn't count too much on it.
what i used to run into a LOT, was that the tensioner would start to go bad. it'd generally get tight....in its movement. this would create a slight overtightening, and that was all it took to wreak havoc inside the alternators. most common problem caused by those tensioners was the rear bearing of the alt.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a problem with my exciter wire just a couple weeks ago. Apparently the alternator had been removed before i purchased the car, as the wire was spliced together. Literally just twisted together with electrical tape. I never had a problem with it so i left it. The tape had gotten old and fell off. I was just driving along and those bare wires were rubbing on other things and causing a short and making my voltage go down. I respliced it like i should have on day one and no more problems. I did have to replace the alternator too though.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had the same problem. truck alternator ftw!

Quick Reply: Voltage Problem with good Battery and Alternator