General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Finally fixed odd brake light issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Finally fixed odd brake light issue

I have been having problems in the past few years of my driver side brake light working when it wants to. Half the time it would work, half the time it wouldn't. Both other brake lights worked just fine, and all blinkers worked just fine. I traced the wires multiple times and they were fine, all grounds were good, replaced the bulbs too. Today I went down to autozone, and bought 2 new sockets for the driver side brake light. Wired em in and bam, all was good. Just a heads up for anybody who might be having an issue similar to this. There was a little bit of corrosion in the original sockets, so I guess the bulb just couldn't make a solid connection anymore.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Another option is to replace just the socket inserts, which can be had for less than $1 each from Mouser Electronics. (Less expensive and no socket splicing required.)
Old 03-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Another option is to replace just the socket inserts, which can be had for less than $1 each from Mouser Electronics. (Less expensive and no socket splicing required.)
That's kinda like when you ask someone for directions, and they just say "North." Perfectly applicable, but a little more specificity please?? I just went to their website and am rather as to which options I need to select to get to the right ones
Old 03-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by runtwrestlin
That's kinda like when you ask someone for directions, and they just say "North." Perfectly applicable, but a little more specificity please?? I just went to their website and am rather as to which options I need to select to get to the right ones
Just have to do a search... https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...t-gaskets.html

All the info and resources needed to re-work the rear sockets are in the thread above.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh...search the forums......yea... I meant on Mouser Electronics website...but your instruction was far better than what I asked for. Thank you sir (once again)!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by runtwrestlin
Oh...search the forums......yea... I meant on Mouser Electronics website...but your instruction was far better than what I asked for. Thank you sir (once again)!
Ah - Mouser has tons of components but if you type in the Delphi part number, it will take you straight to the part. Often, you'll see two options listed. One is for the part in bulk packaging to be used by automated machines. The other one is for single parts. Just select the part option that shows an available 1 qty and it will be the one you want.

Last edited by wssix99; 03-08-2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-11-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I had no idea they even made those, definitely a better route to go than splicing in new ones.