General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Alignment & "Clunking" Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Alignment & "Clunking" Noise

Two questions:

1) Alignment: I am assuming my alignment is off. When on the highway, or under heavy braking, the car tends to pull a fair amount. Enough to annoy me on some roads. The alignment shop I'm taking my Trans Am to can dial in precise 4 wheel alignments (numbers, not just "in the green") if I want. Should I look into anything specific or just leave the stock specs in place? The car is at stock height, will be "split daily driven" during warmer months (Competing with my bike), will hit the drag strip a few times, as well as race tracks (road courses) a couple times.

2) Clunking noise: The past couple days I've started the car (Mainly in the morning) I have heard an odd clunking noise. It's coming from the driver side, engine compartment area, near the firewall. It makes the noise at idle. I cannot hear it while driving (I assume the motor & wind noise is too loud at that point). Any ideas what to check/look for?

Thanks...

Last edited by HibachiZ28; 03-12-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine does the clunk but only 1 time when i put in it reverse it sounds like its coming from the steering knuckle since it started when i put my extensions on. but i see no signs of contact.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wonder if this and my warped brake rotors have anything to do with one another? I'm sure they don't, but I guess it could be my hub assembly, ball joints, etc. Will be doing the brakes tonight so I'll find out what's going on with them at least.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:10 AM
TECH Resident

what do your front tires look like?

just for the hell of it, swap the front tires side to side, see if the pull changes directions. if it does, then the tires are the cause.

generally, caster is what will cause a pull. whichever way it's pulling, you'd want to add positive caster to that side, or negative caster to the other side.
caster will not generally create any visible tire wear, whereas camber will. camber also can cause a pull, but it has to be WAAYYYYY out to do this.
toe cannot cause a pull, although it can and will create a "feather edging" on both front tires.

also, when you brake, does the pull continue in the same direction as when you're just driving? you could have caliper or other brake problems causing the pull too.

before just asking for an alignment at your shop, have them look into what's causing the pull.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, LT!

The "pull" is all over. Left & right. It definitely tries to follow the grooves in the road. It does this much more when I am hard on the brakes, as well as shaking the steering wheel (as if the rotors are warped). Front tires looked fine when I installed 'em about 1000 miles ago. I'll check 'em again today.

Once I do the front rotors & pads tonight I'll take it out on the road and see if anything changes. I also need to put it in the air, do some 3 & 9, and 12 & 6 shaking to see if there is movement.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HibachiZ28
Thanks for the info, LT!

The "pull" is all over. Left & right. It definitely tries to follow the grooves in the road. It does this much more when I am hard on the brakes, as well as shaking the steering wheel (as if the rotors are warped). Front tires looked fine when I installed 'em about 1000 miles ago. I'll check 'em again today.

Once I do the front rotors & pads tonight I'll take it out on the road and see if anything changes. I also need to put it in the air, do some 3 & 9, and 12 & 6 shaking to see if there is movement.
if you're putting it in the air, check your tie rods, and ball joints too. check the ball joints both while they're hanging, and then place a jack under the control arm, load the suspension, and check them again.

the pulling both ways with the grooves in the road.....is this new? if so, tires are stock size?

you may be able to help that issue a little by setting caster higher.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Went to install my brakes, they were mispicked from the manufacturer. No worries though. New set on the way.

From what I looked at yesterday, passenger side was all tight. I didn't get to the drive side due to the above issue. I did shake the driver side front wheel a bit and seemed like there was a MINOR amount of play, at least compared to the stout passenger side.

The pulling has been an issue for a while - I can't recall when it started though. I want to think it was after I added the new wheels & tires, but don't quote me on that.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Went to install my brakes, they were mispicked from the manufacturer. No worries though. New set on the way.

From what I looked at yesterday, passenger side was all tight. I didn't get to the drive side due to the above issue. I did shake the driver side front wheel a bit and seemed like there was a MINOR amount of play, at least compared to the stout passenger side.

The pulling has been an issue for a while - I can't recall when it started though. I want to think it was after I added the new wheels & tires, but don't quote me on that.
well here's another kink in the equation.

is this happening anywhere you drive, or just where there's ruts in the road? some cars with larger tires, you're gonna have that in rutty roads. there's one spot just off of rt 295 here in nj, where even my 012 gt does what you're describing.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It happens more on certain roads, and certain parts of those roads than others, but it definitely wanders 85% of the time on the highway. I've driven the same roads in my former Wrangler (33x12.50x15" tires front/rear) and didn't wander like this. That's why I am curious. I only have 245/45?R17's up front; With the 315/35R17's in the rear.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

It happens more on certain roads, and certain parts of those roads than others, but it definitely wanders 85% of the time on the highway. I've driven the same roads in my former Wrangler (33x12.50x15" tires front/rear) and didn't wander like this. That's why I am curious. I only have 245/45?R17's up front; With the 315/35R17's in the rear.
ok. it sounds like it's gonna be a tire related problem...even if it's as simple as that the tire change threw off your alignment. i'd have a good alignment shop check it out. ask them for readings before and after.

the car in question is the 98 trans am in your sig? i'll look up specs for stock for you tomorrow when i et to work.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
ok. it sounds like it's gonna be a tire related problem...even if it's as simple as that the tire change threw off your alignment. i'd have a good alignment shop check it out. ask them for readings before and after.

the car in question is the 98 trans am in your sig? i'll look up specs for stock for you tomorrow when i et to work.
That's the plan Just have to wait 'til the correct brakes show up, install them, then get the alignment. Correct, '98 Trans Am. Thank you much!
Old 03-22-2012, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

1ltcap - how does one adjust caster on these cars? I thought only camber and toe were adjustable on our set-ups?
Old 03-30-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So the rear driver side wheel is bent. It was balanced out and took care of 85% of the vibes. The car still wanders a bit. Waiting to install my brakes (had the wrong ones shipped) then will take care of an alignment and see how it goes from there.

The clunking is still occurring at random startups. Still no idea what it is. ...
Old 03-30-2012, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
1ltcap - how does one adjust caster on these cars? I thought only camber and toe were adjustable on our set-ups?
You need a special tool to adjust camber and caster. It pulls or pushes the control arm to make the adjustments.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by puddingmmmmmmmm
You need a special tool to adjust camber and caster. It pulls or pushes the control arm to make the adjustments.
Thats camber. I'm asking about how you adjusted caster.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just told you how. BOTH camber and caster are both adjustable by moving the control arm. I'm hunter certified. Don't ask questions you don't know the answer too and tell someone else they are wrong when they provide you with the correct answer.