General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Engine overheating, or not ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine overheating, or not ??

hello there,
i just bought a 98 Z28 Camaro (LS1) and i don't know if what is happening is normal or not.

at first the low coolant light warning turned on i called the previous owner and he said its totally fine and it will go off once the engine is cooled. turned off the car and started it after a while and the light was gone.

the same day I've noticed that the coolant temperature gets to 104 or 105 C and drops back to 75-80 C. it keeps doing that when i leave the car idling for like 5 minutes. when am driving though the temperature is always about 80 C.

when the A/C is on this never happens.

--------

ANOTHER PROBLEM

the oil pressure is between 140 - 275 KPA (20-40 PSI) always. even when i floor it. it barely gets over 275 reaches 277 or so... sooo is that ok ??

and forgive me for my poor English.

thanx in advance
Old 03-23-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

1. It's a common problem to have that light come on when there is no problem, that's why they got rid of them in 2000 i think. So the previous owner was correct as long as there is enough coolant in the system. Alot of people learn to ignore or unplug the light. I did.

2. A steady temperature when you are driving is normal, the car is getting air flow through the cooling system. If it gets noticeably hotter when idling it could be an over heating issue, but not by much. I think if my conversions in my head are right you're only slightly above normal.

3. The oil pressure is normal expect when flooring it, around 20 psi no lower is okay at idle and it should be over 40 PSI when flooring it.
Have a proper oil change done on it, oil, filter, and check to see what oil has been run in it previously to use the same. If not use manufacture recommendations, any shop will know what to use if you don't tell them a preference. I suspect it is just over due for an oil change and the filter is done for. The oil pressure naturally runs low at idle though no worry.

Good luck.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:51 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you,
And I forgot to mention that I think my cooling fan is a bit weak. And do you thing replacing the thermostat would soulve the problem ?
Old 03-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Welcome to the group!

Originally Posted by bahrain z28
at first the low coolant light warning turned on i called the previous owner and he said its totally fine and it will go off once the engine is cooled. turned off the car and started it after a while and the light was gone.
This is a typical problem when the coolant level sensor goes bad. I think the bit about it being taken off the car might be a myth. I understanding was that it was kept for the entire manufacturing run of the car.

Regardless; it is a very important part, especially in a hot climate. The sensor is there for a reason - to tell us when we are critically low on coolant. The sensor saved me from burning up my engine when I had a bad water pump that was pushing air in to the system. I highly recommend replacing the sensor.

the same day I've noticed that the coolant temperature gets to 104 or 105 C
It should be like this all the time.

and drops back to 75-80 C. it keeps doing that when i leave the car idling for like 5 minutes. when am driving though the temperature is always about 80 C.

when the A/C is on this never happens.
This is not normal, is a low temperature, and could be a bad thermostat. I recommend replacing it. If the thermostat sticks in the open position, the system will cool the engine too far.

When the A/C is on, the engine has to work harder, which will require more cooling capacity, so its no surprise that the coolant temperature goes up in this situation. A good thermostat should keep you around 100C all the time, no matter the condition.

ANOTHER PROBLEM

the oil pressure is between 140 - 275 KPA (20-40 PSI) always. even when i floor it. it barely gets over 275 reaches 277 or so... sooo is that ok ??
If you are not in the red section of the gauge, you are OK. But this sounds a little low. What kind of oil are you using?
Old 03-25-2012, 03:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+10 on everything ^^^^^^^ wssix99 just said.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

@wssix99 thanl you soo much bro.
I'll change my thermostat tomorrow, people recommend 160 degrees.
Regarding the oil pressure, I just changed the oil and went for Mobil1 (10W-30). I've noticed a huge difference in the oil pressure, idling: 20 psi =138 KPA. 2200 rpm: 37-39 psi = 275 KPA. My friends camaro is a bit higher also. But his engine is always cool coz he installed 160 F thermostat and programmed the fan to kick in earlier than stock. Soo I think cooling is somehow related to oil pressure maybe? Since the oil will be cooler. ???

Thank you again
Old 03-25-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

@wssix99 thanl you soo much bro.
Regarding the oil pressure, I just changed the oil and went for Mobil1 (10W-30). I've noticed a huge difference in the oil pressure, idling: 20 psi =138 KPA. 2200 rpm: 37-39 psi = 275 KPA. My friends camaro is a bit higher also. But his engine is always cool coz he installed 160 F thermostat and programmed the fan to kick in earlier than stock. Soo I think cooling is somehow related to oil pressure maybe? Since the oil will be cooler. ???

Thank you again
sounds like it was over due for an oil change to me, glad your pressure is back
Old 03-25-2012, 12:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Try boiling the stock thermostat first to see if it is seized or not. Stock temp is 187 so it should open around there. I thought mine was seized til I tried this. So maybe it'll help you save some money/time.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

It depends on what you want. 160 degrees will give you a little more power, but the stock 210 degrees should give you better emissions and fuel mileage.

I'd suggest telling your friends that you have a 160, (so they will be impressed) and then keep a 210 in the car so you won't burn as much gas.

Regarding the oil pressure, I just changed the oil and went for Mobil1 (10W-30).
I think that's a good choice for where you are using the car.

I've noticed a huge difference in the oil pressure, idling: 20 psi =138 KPA. 2200 rpm: 37-39 psi = 275 KPA. My friends camaro is a bit higher also. But his engine is always cool coz he installed 160 F thermostat and programmed the fan to kick in earlier than stock. Soo I think cooling is somehow related to oil pressure maybe? Since the oil will be cooler. ???
I'd echo 02v8ta's comment. Its probably because you just did an oil change. (I notice the same thing on my car when I change the oil.) As you drive the car a bit, you will probably see the pressure come up a little bit as the oil starts collecting contaminants.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by djfury05
Try boiling the stock thermostat first to see if it is seized or not. Stock temp is 187 so it should open around there. I thought mine was seized til I tried this. So maybe it'll help you save some money/time.
i thought that thermostats come with a stamp that says their temperature
i am pretty sure that my car is on the stock thermostats coz it is 110% stock

Originally Posted by wssix99
It depends on what you want. 160 degrees will give you a little more power, but the stock 210 degrees should give you better emissions and fuel mileage.
where am living, the temperature reaches up to 50 C. in summer .. so i have to keep my engine cooled in every method possible . + fuel is cheap around here. a full fuel tank will cost me around 5.000 B.D which is like 13-14 US$

Last edited by bahrain z28; 03-26-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

http://postimage.org/image/g4a3lr8gb/

is that normal oil pressure ?
driving 90 KM/H on 1600 RPM with 100% warmed up oil

----

http://postimage.org/image/kel36cm0n/

car stopped for traffic, in (D) my foot on the brake.

----

my friend does 275 KPA (40 PSI) when driving 80-90 KM/H . RPM= 1600
am doing 206-210 KPA (30 PSI).
and does 10 PSI make much difference (Not performance wise)
Old 03-26-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Oil looks normal to me, as long as it doesn't hit the red a trigger a warning light to come on.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02v8ta
Oil looks normal to me, as long as it doesn't hit the red a trigger a warning light to come on.
thanx a lot.
u just made my day