General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bogs after starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bogs after starting

95 Formula M6
Brand new NGK Iridium Plugs, Duralast wireset, ran fuel injector cleaner, cleaned MAF and TBI, K&N Filter, new fuel filter, fresh oil and oil filter, Slowmaster 40 exhaust.

Problem: When I fire it up, it sputters and backfires a bit and the idle jumps around a bit, can drop as low as 500 rpm. After that smooths out, I can put it into gear and go and it'll bog and shudder, rpm won't go above 1100 or so for a few seconds. After that, it runs perfectly fine as long as I don't turn it off and back on.

Ideas?
Old 04-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you seem to have mispelled flowmaster sir
Old 04-01-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nope. I hate the way they sound. Magnaflow and Borla are the exhaust systems that crank my shaft.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So after its warmed up for a little bit it runs good. How is your WOT....smooth and no issues?

Bad or failing MAF can cause that. Did you clean it with Q-Tips touching the tiny sensor wires....or did you just spray it with MAF cleaner?

Old 04-02-2012, 07:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Doesn't really have to warm that much, it seems. After that initial bit of trouble is gone, I don't have any more until I turn it off and on. From idling at a stop light, to letting off the clutch w/o giving it any gas and skip shifting, to punching it and doing 145 in 5th the other day, it's as smooth as a shot of really good whiskey.

I only sprayed the MAF. I was tentative about touching the wires b/c I figured fibers could get stuck on them or, being clumsy, I'd twitch and break one or something.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, turns out that a major exhaust leak has developed right before the cat. Very loud backfiring in the exhaust pipe. MAF is fine. Ran it w/ the maf disconnected and it did the exact same thing in speed density. Seems that the only thing that helps is to give it a lil gas as I'm starting it, about enough to get it up to 2500 rpm or so. Then, it runs fine after. So I'm thinking the problem with it bogging may be from the exhaust system not having enough backpressure until I push some gas through it.