General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Opti Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Opti Problem?

Alright, sometimes when I fire it up, it staggers a bit, then catches and runs fine and smooth.

Sometimes when I start it up, it staggers, runs for a few seconds around 700-1100 rpm, then falls on its face and dies. I wait a few seconds, then try it again and it fires right up. On those times, it tends to give me grief and bog from about 1300-2000 rpm. Sometimes it'll smooth out after a bit of driving and run fine.

Last night, when I was driving it home from running it at the dragway, it was missing the whole way, through the whole rpm range.

Plugs (NGK Iridiums) and wires are brand new.

Thinking of getting the ICM tested, putting in a new coil, and replacing the Opti, either way.

Thoughts?

Last edited by DisasterFormula; 04-08-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, I got about 160 miles out of 11 gallons, or about 14.5 mpg. 93 Octane, about 40 miles highway, the rest city, and including a trip to 145 in 5th gear in those highway miles and 11 runs at my local 1/8th mile. Car is stock except a Flowmaster 40 catback and K&N filter.

Good, bad?
Old 04-08-2012, 06:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, tonight I couldn't sleep so I decided to go for a cruise. Ambient temperature of about 50F. Fired up the bird and took about 10-15 seconds to smooth out. Put it in gear and rolled out without a problem, maybe a slight miss or two. Drove it a bit, got out on the highway and punched it, ran to 154 or so and ran out of road, got it up to temp, about 185 F. Stopped and cut the engine off. Sat for a minute then cranked it back over, put it in gear and went, no problems. Drove some more then went in Walmart for about 20-30 min. Came out and the coolant temp was around 165. Fired her back up, she missed a little, but smoothed on out and I drove another half hour or so. Temp went up to about 185-190 again, stopped across the street from my apartment. Sat for a few minutes. Fired it back up, started missing kinda bad. Idled around 1000, when I stepped on the gas it would backfire in the exhaust. Did that for about 20 seconds then the engine revved up to about 2000 rpm then backed down, smooth as silk. Drove her a quarter mile, no problems, pulled it into the parking lot, backed her into a spot, and that's all she wrote. That was about 30 min ago. Gonna go out again in a little bit and fire it back up to see what it does.