General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Low oil sensor weirdness

Old 04-17-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Low oil sensor weirdness

So over the past week twice now has my low oil light come on. I've checked oil levels and they are fine. Start/off cycling shut it off the first time, but today it stayed on regardless. I figure the sensor is broke or I broke/burnt wires when I swapped out the starter.

I go underneath and fine everything still nicely tucked and the closest anything to my passenger headers is the starter wire and even that has almost 2 inches of clearance.

I took out my multimeter and checked voltage on the plug and found 5V from it. No amount of wiggling or tugging caused me to lose that 5V signal. Wire is good. So I put a pan down and pull the sensor and find other than the 15 year age, its not falling to pieces. I clean it up with some cleaner and test. Still low oil light. I go to get gas later in the evening with the light on and after filling the tank. It's off. WTF?

I sat in my driveway flicking the ignition on/off and the low oil light didn't come back.

I think the sensor is toast so I ordered a new sensor PRIOR to it resolving itself. FML if it stays "fixed". Why couldn't my starter magically fix itself back on friday?

Thoughts/comments welcome.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has been on for over a year. I tried fixes posted here like jumping
the two wires togther or grouning them with no luck. I don't know of
an easy fix and I'm not going to tear my dash out to get to the light.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

I ripped one of the wires out of the pigtail on accident on something on the road over a year ago. I ordered a new pigtail from nook and tranny on ebay..... I just need time to solder in my new one. But as soon as it's fixed, I won't have that stupid light in my face all day.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:55 PM
12 Second Club

Mine has been on for over a year. I tried fixes posted here like jumping
the two wires togther or grouning them with no luck. I don't know of
an easy fix and I'm not going to tear my dash out to get to the light.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

So I replaced the sensor with a new delco one. It worked for a little while but it STILL comes back. I checked my grounds, I checked the connector again for voltage, got 5V. I'm going to go back to the starter area and pull it again and see if the starter ground is maybe at fault here, but when I looked, the low oil sensor cable is far enough away and unobstructed from the starter not to be an issue. It's not dangling away and is fairly tucked in and plenty of room away from the header primaries.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

I got under there, checked everything again. Pulled the starter found nothing wrong with the install, no frayed wires and voltage off the sensor was good. I'm debating if the power to the sensor is going but not sure of the wiring at the pcm. I tried jumping the sensor with a wire and it stayed on. I plugged in the old one and it stays on. I have 3.2V from the plug. I'm so confused at this. It's powered, it has ground and it has oil! I just think the light wants to troll me.

Last edited by SladeX; 04-28-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Search this Thread