General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car stalling, quitting, not starting,...SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally i like the allen/torx setup for brakes... allot of the newer cars are setup this way
Old 05-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SVTconfused
personally i like the allen/torx setup for brakes... allot of the newer cars are setup this way
Agreed, these smaller tools are hard to find tho,...thankfully there seems to be a good work around.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

The car fired up instantly with the GM sensor upgraded Chandler Opti,...running really smooth.

*crossed fingers*

I'll be doing some in town driving tomorrow and I'll update this post.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With CMS, you have a 50/50 chance of getting a DOA, it seems.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:34 AM
Staging Lane

I can't help but agree, what a bad idea,...the Opti I mean.
The LT1 might have been the next best SBC, but obviously the best and brightest where working on the LS1. And I think it's pretty obvious they knocked that one outta the park.

I can't help but wonder how many of these LT1 F bodies have been/will be trashed because people get so frustrated with the bullshit.

I was into RX7's for a long time,...great cars with 4 wheel discs, tough posi diffs and good looking/handling,....you could get a RX7 with a blown apex seal for a couple hundred bucks for about the past 10 years,...not so common now, most have been crushed?!.

I think now, after all the work I'm closer to being at peace with the LT1?!.

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
i'm not saying anything about its functionality.....but i've always HATED WITH A PASSION when i had to do those dam things. who was the friggin rocket scientist that put that **** down there like that? it's almost like a ford engineer went to work for gm when they made that stupid ****.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

There has'nt been a hiccup/stutter/stall since I changed the Opti module in the OptiSpark.

The car is running really well.

I'll update after a couple more days,...
Old 05-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

The car is running perfect.

Time to fix/upgrade the stock Bose stereo system,...another unique system.

This forum is a wealth of information and support, thanks.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

not even sure if you're still on this forum but thought I would give it a shot. I'm having similar issues with a 93 z28. just bought this car drive it 100 miles or so and never died on me. I put a heater core in the car and made a mess with the radiator puking up an air bubble. I washed the antifreeze off and the wouldn't start back up. I put a cheap Orielly opti on it and now I'm having the issue of intermittently dieing and usually starts right up and sometimes have to crank it 10 or so times to get it to start. Never left me stranded as of yet. Did you have any codes? I have none. Curious if this cheap opti is junk or what?
Old 11-12-2014, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Default I know another problem

I had something very similar happen to me. When I bought my 95 Camaro... SES light would stay on for first 5-10 minutes of being cold started. Then if I romped on it during that time I lost ignition several times going down the highway. So I replaced TPS, coil, and ICM. It solved the problem for a few weeks. Then car got worse after going out of town a few times 60-80 miles. Car was missing. Then after 10 minutes it would back fire. One time I heard a terrible noise under the hood... thought I dropped a lifter... but found my TPS came unplugged. Then one day was driving with my daughter to get some lunch. Sat in BK drive thru for 15 minutes. When I got my food... put it in 1st... backfire. Sounded like a shotgun or gun several times. In fact police were up in my area within a few minutes Lol. Kept cranking... but no start. Did it several times for an hour and a half. I only lived a few blocks down. So when I got home I tried my old coil... started right up. Turned it off. Cranked again and started up. So I pulled the new coil off, and put the old one on (I was getting fuel, but this is where I started) started right up. Left it idle for 5-7 minutes while I washed my hands... got back in the car... put it in first again... and backfire... a buddy of mine just showed up... so I pulled the new ICM off. Out the old one on... started right up. I turned it off. It was getting cold and my ex was almost at my house to pick up my daughter. After she left... tried starting again... but no start again. So I got one of my brand new plug wires I ain't installed, and took the new coil plugged it in (old was put back in) ran a wire to the exhaust manifold... cranked with a buddy... no spark. So I slept it off after a few beers. I woke with some light got under the hood. Pulled apart the wiring harness... and low and behold the 2 wires that run from primary coil to the ICM were bent 180 degrees flat (creating pinched wire effect) so I flattened them out... cranked the car... started right up. Went under the hood... touched the wires... killed the car instantly. So I cut out the bends, and crimped, and heat shrinked the wires, then taped them off. She's run like a champ since then. When running I touched the wiring pigtail for the ICM and backfire... so that's been replaced too. So a word of advice... Dont always blame the Optispark... I had several shade tree mechanics tell me that's what it was. But when your 2 wires providing 25k volts to the primary are bent creating pinch... that creates mysteries too. Just for reference I'm a Ford tech. Thanks for this thread... and I hope someone else sees this and helps em too. Thanks

Quick Reply: Car stalling, quitting, not starting,...SOLVED