General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:39 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default power steering pump

I found out that the weird sound I am getting on my ride is from a power steering pump that's on its way out. I need a replacement. I have been looking on ebay. Just curious are the v6 firebird pumps the same as the ones in the 5.7 v8? Am I better off going stock replacement?
Old 04-24-2012, 08:51 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

How long are you going to keep the car? Do you want a solid long term fix or a cheap way to keep the car going?
Old 04-25-2012, 04:08 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well I would love to keep my car as long as possible. Right now though I have a budget. I wanna be able to not worry about the pump for a few years and keep my car mechanically sound. Its a seasonal car and I only drive it from about April to late November depending on the weather. Then I just use my Jeep as a DD. I just don't know if I should get a rebuilt one. People I talk to advise me to buy new because rebuilt ones tend to fail. If I could get about 3/4 years out of a well priced pump I'd be more then satisfied. Autozone has Duralast pumps for cheap without a reservoir. Although my alternator is aftermarket and has a lifetime warranty. I feel like mechanically I am better off going with a stock ls1 pump. Where would you put your money?
Old 04-26-2012, 08:05 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I put my money on sending my original pump to a re-builder. It was more expensive than buying a reman off the shelf, but less expensive (I think) than purchasing a new one.

I sent my pump to TurnOne. They do a lot of performance builds, but I asked for a stock rebuild, which they were happy to do. A few years ago, they charged me $120 to do the rebuild and then ship it back. Its been fabulous ever since. They really know their stuff.