General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

School

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default School

Hey everyone

I have a 99 formula and I moved to Manhattan for business school. My car is back in Ohio sitting in my parents garge (Inside). I go home about once a year, the battery is out of the car and I have about 34,000 miles on it. What should I be worried about with it sitting that long I'll drive it when I go home, but that was my second concern is anything breaking(important parts) if I drive it a little hard after a year. It's in great shape (I could maybe get a friend to put a battery and start it but thats it).

Would you guys have any ideas that can help?

(Fluids were changed before the move)
Ps I don't post often but I have been reading for years lol

Thanks for any help

Kyle

Last edited by Ottneysformula; 05-05-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Ugggh, if it's a AT your in worse shape. AT's don't like to sit for long periods of time.

Everything else is kinda hit or miss, like draining fluids.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Yes, it is.

I may be going home around october for a week, so that's my window to do anything. I have a extra set of nittos dr.'s and nittos for the fronts that are in wraps, so at least the tires are not a concern.

I thought about driving it out to Manhattan for a few weeks, but after the math I figured it would be somewhere around 5 grand lol (Parking)

It sucks because I only put 4,000 miles on it since I had it. I am for sure keeping it though
Old 05-05-2012, 02:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by samson_420
Ugggh, if it's a AT your in worse shape. AT's don't like to sit for long periods of time.

Several of my cars with autos sit all the time. I had a '76 Eldorado that sat for 7 years in my garage, finally got it fired up and it drove/shifted fine. My '98 and '71 sit for at least 6 months straight every year, no issues there either ('98 still has the stock trans after 14 years and it shifts perfect, '71 has a B&M TH350 that's about ~15 years old, also shifts perfect). I've bought several auto cars that have sat for long periods of time before I started driving them, they shifted fine as well.

The thing I'd be most worried about is letting old coolant sit for long periods without changing.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure to put some stabilizer in the fuel. You don't want it turning to varnish in your lines and corroding. Check your other fluids to make sure they're not low or gunked up. Avoid driving it hard after it's been sitting until it's warmed up.