General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Warm Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 05:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Warm Starting Problem

After the car is hot and I park it to go into a store, I have problems restarting the engine. If I give it a bit of gas as the engine catches, there is no problem. If I miss the opportunity, the engine will crank as if flooded. It can take 5 minutes to get it started. The car runs strong with no issues. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It could be a leaky fuel injector - that is one that drips after shut down. A leaky injector will temporarily flood one cylinder, but the fuel evaporates before the next cold start. A leaky injector however, usually causes a tendency to diesel a bit on shut down.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check and sniff your dipstick to see if it had a strong fuel smell.....injector leaking down could put fuel into the oil.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a gauge on the fuel rail and found inconsistent pressure. First swapped out the fuel relay with a Pep Boys part. Problem was fixed for a day or so. Problem returned. Threw a fuel pump in the car. Worked for a day or less. Went through another PB fuel relay as well. My son metered the relay box on the fender and voltages were fine. Ran a piece of wire in place of the relay and the fuel pump jumpped to life. Hmmmmmmmmm. It's got to be the relay. When to a GM dealer and bought a genuine GM relay. Bang, all is fine. For giggles we put the PB relay back in and back in the dumper we go. Put the GM relay back in and all is fine for over a week and 500 miles. That sucked, big time.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:32 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check the coolant temperature sensor. A bad one will cause the hot start probem you
have.

Quick Reply: Warm Starting Problem